Indians spoil Eagles’ homecoming

Published 12:30 pm Saturday, October 11, 2014

Coby Williams powers over Tyquon Jones for a score. MURRAY THOMPSON | TIDEWATER NEWS

Coby Williams powers over Tyquon Jones for a score. MURRAY THOMPSON | TIDEWATER NEWS

In a downpour of a road Homecoming game, the Southampton High School Indians came to Greensville High School to get their first win of the season. After a back and forth first half, the Indians pulled away early in the third quarter and never looked back as they won the VHSL TriRivers District football contest 44-28.

Southampton got on the board first, with Coby Williams running it in from 65-yards out on the first play after the kick return with just 24 seconds having clicked off the clock. The conversion was good and they went up 8-0.

Greensville would answer at the 7:41 mark, with Kijuan Harding running it in from 15 yards out on the keeper. On a successful conversion, the game was tied at 8-all.

With 2 minutes to go in the quarter, Williams was at it again, scoring from 10-yards out. However, the conversion failed so the lead was capped at 6 points.

In the second quarter, Greensville would answer as Naquan Jordan would take it in from 35-yards out at the 8:38 second mark. The two point conversion put the Eagles up 16-14.

At the 6:34 mark, Greensville would repeat, with Jaylon Meredith taking it in from the 15-yard line. With the conversion a fail, the Eagles took a 22-14 lead.

Southampton’s Kavonta Johnson had a 15-yard answer of his own, however, with 2:06 left in the half. They needed a conversion to tie it at 22-all, but it was unsuccessful.

Southampton came out in the third quarter, and Williams again scored from deep, running it in from 50-yards out. With a successful conversion, the Indians went up 28-22.

Later in the quarter, Tyron Ruffin and Daniel Agunzo got in and forced a safety, which put the Indians up 30-22.

In the fourth quarter, Randolph Jones would begin the festivities at the 8:02 mark with a 12-yard run. The failed conversion increased the lead 36-22.

Greensville wasn’t going away, though. Less than 30-seconds later, Harding found Jordan Peebles for a 35-yard touchdown. After the failed conversion, the Eagles had closed the gap to 36-28 — within a single score from tying it.

Four minutes later, Williams ended the homecoming comeback hopes with a 25-yard touchdown run. The conversion was good, and the 44-28 score would hold until the end.

“Coby — he showed you that he is the best running back in the district by carrying the football as much as he did tonight,” said Head Coach Willie Gillus after the game. “And we had some kids that came in and played some in spurts. They came in and played good for us when Coby went out. I think it was a great team effort.”

Williams accounted for 4 touchdowns, and over 24 rushes he accumulated 231 yards on the ground. But he didn’t do it alone.

“I thought our offensive line played great tonight,” Gillus said. “They dug down in some tight situation and blocked a very good defensive line of Greensville tonight.

“And our fullbacks did a masterful job. They kicked out all night. Gavin Thompson, Delonta Boone, I think they did a great job with blocking on the kick outs, and they were key in the running game.”