Dukes lose big to Tigers

Published 10:49 am Saturday, October 4, 2014

Keshawn Reid finds an opening in the second quarter. -- FRANK DAVIS | TIDEWATER NEWS

Keshawn Reid finds an opening in the second quarter. — FRANK DAVIS | TIDEWATER NEWS

FRANK DAVIS/Contributing Writer

It was a long night at Windsor High School on Friday Oct. 3 as the visiting Sussex Central Tigers shut out the home team 46-0 in a TriRivers district out-of-division match. The Tigers completely dominated in all phrases of the game as they racked up a total of 519 yards on the ground and 96 yards in the air.

Despite the loss, Dukes Head Coach Chuck Parrish remarked after the game that ”the kids played hard, and I just told them that I could never be more proud of them. We got beat, but they never stopped playing.”

The Tigers opened the game scoring quickly on their first two possessions. Anthony Bivens scored on runs of 71 & 1 yards runs in the first quarter. One two-point conversion was successful by Churrio Scott to put the Tigers ahead 14-0 that held to half time.

The Dukes fans cheered in the second quarter as quarterback Keshawn Reid scrambled and dodged tacklers to reach the end zone on a 20-yard run, only to have it called back due to a penalty.

In the second half of play the Tigers used a mixture of runs, passes and quarterback keepers to increase their led to 38-0 by the end of the third quarter. Tiger quarterback Malik Delk hit Isaiah Parham on a 15-yard touchdown pass and An’Tae Motton scored on the two-point conversion to push the score to 22–0. Going back to the air on their next possession, Delk connected with Lamar’e Pearson on a 57-yard touchdown pass. Scott scored again on the two point conversion to increase the lead to 30-0.

The Tigers last score of the third quarter resulted from a 25-yard run by Motton and Parham grabbing a pass for the two-point conversion. The quarter ended with the Tigers up 38 -0.

In the final quarter of play even playing with a running clock the Tigers continued their scoring as Scott crossed the goal line on a 16-yard run and Parham caught a pass for the two-point conversion. The Tigers on their kick-off pulled off a successful onside kick with 4:50 minutes remaining to be played and seemed headed for the goal line again. But the Dukes defense dug in to stop the attempt.

“This game was a life lesson,” said Parrish. “When things get tough, you’re either going to lay down or you are going to keep playing. And our kids kept playing and we kept on coaching and that is all we ask of our staff and players to do and they did and fought together.”

The Dukes are now 2-3 and will face Surry next.