Chargers get homecoming victory

Published 11:12 am Saturday, October 4, 2014

Carson Robertson pushes a Broadwater player out of his way as he moves to gain some extra yards. -- CAIN MADDEN | TIDEWATER NEWS

Carson Robertson pushes a Broadwater player out of his way as he moves to gain some extra yards. — CAIN MADDEN | TIDEWATER NEWS

It was a unique homecoming night football at Isle of Wight Academy with a helicopter landing on the baseball field being the only second half drama, as the Chargers brought it to the Broadwater Academy Vikings 42-14 in a VISAA Div. IV out-of conference match.

Aaron Fronfelter seals the deal with a late interception. -- CAIN MADDEN | TIDEWATER NEWS

Aaron Fronfelter seals the deal with a late interception. — CAIN MADDEN | TIDEWATER NEWS

But don’t worry, the helicopter was a local TV station with a few giveaways to toss into the crowd, not the Nightingale.

In the first half, however, it was a game. The teams started out testing each other, with IWA forcing a 3 and out, and the Chargers only picked up one first down before punting it during their first possession.

Chad McCann pinned the Vikings at their own 8-yard line, but they started to roll down the field in a 14-play, 92-yard drive that culminated in a 2-yard touchdown run by Tyler Major with Thomas Scott kicking the extra point. The game started off with the Vikings up 7-0 with 1:12 left in the first.

On the kickoff, Aaron Fronfelter returned it to the 43-yard line, and Alec Edwards had moved it into Viking territory on the 49-yard line on two runs as the first expired.

Carson Robertson would pick up the first down, making it to the 47, and then Edwards would get it to the 3-yard line on 5 runs, his longest of the series a 15-yard pickup.

After Robertson pushed it to the 1-yard line, Edwards took it in and Dylan Poe tied it up at 7-all with 7:42 left in the half.

On the next drive, Broadwater’s Austin Murphy tried to air it out but was not rewarded as Fronfelter covered Major well. The snap was high, and by the time punter Keegan Czesak stopped bobbling it the Chargers were all over him and he had to try and run it before being tackled by IWA players and turning the ball over on downs.

Starting at their 25-yard line, Edwards brought it 20-yards closer on 2 rushes, and Robertson found the endzone from there. The Poe kick put the Chargers up 14-7 with 5:49 to go in the half.

After two quick plays took Broadwater no where, a penalty on them made matters even worse and in third and long, Murphy tried to throw it but quickly had Chase Phillips in his face, who forced him to throw it away.

After the punt, the Chargers took over on their 33-yard line. After getting to the Viking 35 yard line on two big first down runs by Edwards and Will Morningstar, a holding penalty during an Edwards run pushed IWA back to the 38.

Caleb Davis took the ball to the 28, however, when he landed out of bounds a late hit gave the Chargers 15 more yards. At the 13-yard line, Bryce Casey handed the ball off to Edwards, who pounded ahead to the 13. Quickly, he handed it off again and Edwards was stuffed at the line of scrimmage.

The Chargers called their first timeout to stop the clock with 49 seconds remaining. Edwards ran it again, and this time he made it to the 6-yard line.

Stopping the clock again with their second timeout, the Chargers lined back up facing a fourth down with 3 yards to go. Edwards would squeak out just enough yards to get the first down and put them on the 3-yard line. IWA called a timeout with 28 seconds left.

Due to confusion on the Vikings sideline, thinking that they had got the goal line stop, Broadwater was forced to call their last timeout to get the offense off the field.

With the Vikings defense back on the field, Edwards found paydirt and Poe pushed the kick through the uprights and the score was 21-7 Chargers. That held to halftime as the Vikings were unsuccessful on moving the ball through the air.

After receiving the kickoff at halftime, Edwards would quickly get his third touchdown of the night, and the kick made it 28-7 with 10:43 remaining in the third.

Things didn’t start off well for the Vikings, but they recovered. On third down with 22 to go from the 45-yard line, R.C. Cooley beat Davis on a straight route, made the catch and took it in for the touchdown. The Scott kick made it 28-14 with 6:55 to in the third.

On the next drive, the Chargers gave it back to the Vikings, but they were not able to capitalize.

After punting it back to the Chargers, IWA was able to score on the second play from scrimmage, with Casey hitting Aaron Fronfelter deep on a slant route that went all the way for the score.

Going into the fourth, the Chargers mostly milked the clock as the Vikings tried to air it out, which backfired as both McCann and Fronfelter pulled down interceptions.

Davis got the final score with 44 seconds left in the game, making it 42-14.

Broadwater had 219 total yards, while the Chargers had 373. Edwards led on the ground, with 23 rushes for 132 yards. Fronfelter led in receiving with the one touchdown catch for 85 yards.

The Chargers improve to 4-2 while the Vikings fell to 2-3.