Broncos come up short

Published 1:36 pm Saturday, September 27, 2014

Corey Porter and Jack Sykes go for the tackle. -- FRANK DAVIS | THE TIDEWATER NEWS

Corey Porter and Jack Sykes go for the tackle. — FRANK DAVIS | THE TIDEWATER NEWS

The Franklin High School Broncos returned home to Armory Park Football stadium Friday night after two weeks on the road and went down in defeat to the Dragons of Park View High School 36–20 in a VHSL TriRivers District football match.

The Div. 1A Broncos, taking the opening kickoff, easily marched down the field on their first drive and scored on a 35-yard touchdown run by Javonte Baker. Tyree Jones crossed the goal line for the 2-point conversion to put the home team up 8-0.

After the defense put a quick stop on the Div. 3A Dragons’ first possession, a scrambling Bronco quarterback Corey Porter connected on a touchdown pass, which was called back due to a penalty. The Broncos were penalized 14 times for 116 yards during the game.

The Dragons, being behind 0-8 at the end of the first quarter, wasted no time with scoring in the second quarter as Brett Cliborne scored on a quarterback keeper on a 3-yard run with 11:23 on the clock. Jaylen Bullock plowed across the goal line on the 2-point conversion to tie the score at 8-all. Bullock added the next points for the Dragons as he escaped all tacklers on a 45-yard touchdown run. Brandon Vaughan booted the extra point as the visitors upped their lead to 15-8.

The Dragons next touchdown came after a Cliborne went to the air and connected with Thomas Spence for a 16-yard pass. Vaughan added the extra point to advance the Dragons lead to 22-8 with 4:13 remaining until the half.

The last points of the half came on a 10-yard run by the Dragons’ Bullock. The Vaughan kick missed its mark, but the Dragons pushed their lead to 28-8.

Coming back to play in the second half, the Broncos Quayshawn Jefferson raced for 20 yards and a touchdown with 6:45 remaining to be played. The two-point conversion failed but the Broncos closed the score a little as it was now 28-14. Hopes arose again for the Broncos as Jefferson recovered a Dragon fumble, but the Broncos could not capitalize on it.

Entering the final quarter of play the Dragons added 6 more points on a 7-yard touchdown run by Bullock. Quarterback Cliborne snuck up the middle for the 2-point conversion and a 36-14 lead.

The Broncos added their last points as a determined Jack Sykes powered his way to the goal line on a 7-yard touchdown run. His attempt for the 2-point conversion failed as the horn sounded to end the game.

The Broncos were led in rushing by Jack Sykes with 92 yards and Javonte Baker with 83 yards. For the Dragons, Jaylen Bullock rushed for 177 yards. Corey Porter led in tackles with 9.

Coach Darren Parker stated that he was proud of his players and they played a great game and he was equally proud of his coaches. He ended his comments that the team would start on Monday to prepare for next week’s homecoming game with the Surry Cougars, and as always, he said, “God is good.”