S’hampton falls to Park View in mudfest

Published 10:17 am Monday, November 4, 2013

By Jim Hart/Contributing Writer

In what were some of the most difficult playing conditions of the 2013 football season, the Southampton Indians fell short to the Park View Dragons 21-12 in Courtland Friday night. A steady downpour left the field completely drenched, and it wasn’t long to before the teams were left to play in a mud pit, especially in the middle of the field where most of the night’s action took place. It was nearly impossible for players to make strong cuts and sudden stops while trying to outmaneuver an opponent. The most difficult task for players was to hold on to the muddy pigskin, which is why both teams chose to do very little passing and ran it up the middle most of the night.

The Dragons in the first half dominated the Indians, as they were unable to hold their position on defense. The first score came with 5:33 left in the first quarter when Park View scored on a short run and were successful on their extra point taking the lead 7-0. Only 4 seconds into the second quarter, Park View scored another TD and again the extra point was good, extending their lead to 14-0.

Southampton came out after halftime looking like a different team. After an unsuccessful on-side kick by the Dragons, which included a penalty for illegal touching of the football, the Indians started in excellent field position. They were able to move the ball to the 20-yard line, but on a 4th and 4 play the Indians fumbled the ball and it was recovered by Park View on the 16-yard line. The Indians took advantage of more good field position after the Dragons were forced to punt and returned the ball to the Dragon’s 35. On first down, the Indians’ Devine Fenner ran the ball up the middle and into the end zone, putting the Indians on the scoreboard for the first time with 3:56 left in the 3rd quarter. The 2-point conversion attempt failed and the Indians trailed 14-6. The third quarter ended with no further scores.

The Dragons scored again on a touchdown run up the middle with just 38 seconds left in the game, and added the extra point to make the score 21-6. With just 15 seconds left in the game, Southampton Indian Devine Fenner turned the corner of the Park View defense and took it 61 yards to the end zone for the final touchdown of the game. The two-point conversion attempt was unsuccessful as the pass from Russell Balance to Delonta Boone was caught short of the end zone. The Indians, trailing 21-12 with less than 15 seconds remaining in the game, attempted an on side that which went out of bounds. The game ended with the Dragons taking a knee with just a few seconds remaining.