Published 10:59 am Saturday, June 29, 2013
FRANKLIN—Rebecca Britt Stephenson and Jacob Witt Harper were united in marriage on June 22, 2013 at High Street United Methodist Church during a 5 o’clock ceremony. The Reverend John Weston Ashley officiated.
The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Kent Stephenson of Franklin. She is the granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Rawls Carter of Powellsville, N.C. and the late Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Alexander Stephenson of Jackson, N.C.
The groom is the son of Dr. and Mrs. Allen Foster Harper of Franklin. He is the grandson of Dr. and Mrs. Laurence Craven Pettit, Jr. of Charlottesville, Va. and the late Mr. and Mrs. Richard Maxwell Harper of Brookneal, Va.
The bride was escorted by her father and given in marriage by her parents. She wore a champagne Chantilly lace gown by Palona Blanca with a sweep train and an ivory veil. She carried a bouquet of white and green hydrangea, vandella and green roses, white lisanthus and ranunculus, rosemary sprigs and hosta leaves.
Miss Marian Cregger of Raleigh, N.C., served as the bride’s Maid of Honor. Bridesmaids were Miss Anne Coker of Hendersonville, N.C., Miss Caroline Exum of Raleigh, N.C., Miss Kelly Drewry of Washington, D.C., Miss Jo Revelle Murray of Raleigh, N.C., Mrs. Sally Smith Grimes of Battleboro, N.C., Miss Kylee Ponder of Franklin, Va., and Miss Tucker Petty of Charlottesville, Va. They wore navy Alfred Sung cocktail length dresses and carried bouquets of white roses and hydrangea.
Dr. Allen Harper served as his son’s Best Man. Groomsmen were Mr. Taylor Harper, brother of the groom, of Virginia Beach, Va., Mr. Hunter Edwards of Little Texas, Va., Mr. Jack Wright of Franklin, Va., Mr. Will Berryman of Franklin, Va., Mr. Matt Rollings of Franklin, Va., Mr. Hunter Hickman and Mr. Thom Leslie, both of Charlotte, N.C. Ushers were Mr. Mills Babb, Mr. Carter Pearson, Mr. Michael Brown and Mr. Clay Hyatt, all of Franklin, Va..
Guestbook attendants were Mrs. Sarah Miller Joyce, cousin of the bride and Miss Christine Standahl, dear friend of the bride. Madeline and Alicia Pettit, cousins of the groom, and Janie Robinson, cousin of the bride, handed out wedding programs. The Church bell was rung in memory of the bride’s brother, Carter Thomas Stephenson by the bride’s cousins, Hinton Carter and Ethan Miller.
Mistresses of Ceremonies were Mrs. Ruthie Ponder of Franklin, Va. and Mrs. Leslie Coker of Hendersonville, N.C. Wedding music was provided by Mr. Cary Kirkland, organist, Mr. Blaine Britt, trumpeter and Dr. Mike Ponder, soloist. Miss Mollie Carter, cousin of the bride, read the scripture. Photography was provided by Perry Vaile Photography.
The reception following the ceremony was held at Cypress Cove Country Club. The band “Gentlemen and their Lady” provided an evening of entertainment for the couple and their guests. The couple was driven away in a black and white 1957 Chevrolet, kindly provided by Mr. Lonnie Ayers of Suffolk, Va..
The bride is a graduate of Meredith College in Raleigh, N.C. She is in her third year teaching at Thales Academy in Wake Forest, N.C. The groom is a graduate of Longwood University and recently received his Juris Doctorate degree from The Charlotte School of Law in Charlotte, N.C.
After a brief honeymoon, the couple will make their home in Wake Forest, N.C.
- Cocktail Buffet—February 9th, hosted by Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Rawls Carter, the bride’s Grandparents and Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Rawls Carter, Jr., the bride’s Uncle and Aunt in their home in Powellsville, N.C.
- Monogram Shower—March 9th, hosted by the Maid of Honor, Miss Marian Cregger and Mrs. Jane Cregger in the Meredith College Alumnae House in Raleigh, N.C.
- Cocktail Party—April 6th, hosted by Mr. and Mrs. Westbrook Parker, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rabil, Mr. and Mrs. Bill Peak, Mr. and Mrs. Lynn Powell, Mr. and Mrs. Barky Wright, Mr. Carter Hotchkiss, Mr. Jim Davis, Mr. and Mrs. Walker Gillette, Mr. and Mrs. Carlton Cutchin, and Mr. Warren Beale and Ms. Sharon Foster at Cypress Cove Country Club.
- Wine and Dine—April 13th, hosted by Mrs. Margaret Murray, Mr. and Mrs. Lee Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Rodger Grimes, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Newbern, Mr. Michael Brown, Mr. and Mrs. Travis Grimes, and Miss Jo Revelle Murray in the Murray home in Boykins, Va.
- Kitchen and Recipe Shower—April 14th, hosted by Mrs. Ruthie Ponder, Mrs. Rebecca Ponder Harris, and Miss Kylee Ponder in the fellowship hall of High Street United Methodist Church in Franklin, Va.
- The bride was entertained at a Bachelorette Party in Emerald Isle, N.C., while the groom was entertained at his bachelor party in Manteo, N.C. over the weekend of April 26-28.
- Outdoor barbecue and all the trimmings—May 18th, hosted by Bill and Gaynelle Riddick, Bill and Nancy Riddick, and Tom and Denise Riddick at the Frog House, Franklin, Va..
- Brunch—June 1st, hosted by Mrs. Lucille Carter in her home in Raleigh, N.C.
- BBQ Supper—June 8th, hosted by Tom and Deb Pearson in their home in Franklin, Va..
- Bridesmaids Luncheon—June 21st, hosted by Mrs. Kim Miller, Mrs. Al (Jennifer) Stephenson, and Mrs. Sarah Joyce at Pam’s Tea Room, Franklin, Va.
- Rehearsal Dinner—June 21st, hosted by the groom’s parents, Allen and Lauren Harper at Cypress Cove Country Club.
- Wedding Day Brunch—June 22nd, hosted by John and Leslie Coker, Richard and Harriet Duck, Jerry and Brucie Standahl, Bob Petty, Ruth Petty, and Louisa Coker at The Grill at The Village of Woods Edge.