SHS boys in district tournament

Published 1:45 pm Monday, February 13, 2012

COURTLAND—The Southampton High School boys’ basketball team on Wednesday, Feb. 15, will travel to Parkview for the first round of the Southside District Tournament.

Southampton tied for second in the district and is ranked No. 3 after a draw. The Indians split with Park View during the regular season with each team winning at home.

In action from Friday’s senior night, Southampton ended its regular season with a 39-35 overtime win over Prince Edward, said Coach Will Melbye.

“This was my first senior night,” Melbye said. “My first year, we had no seniors. Then we were snowed out, and last year, my wife was pregnant and we spent the night in the hospital.”

“So this was an important night for me,” he continued. “Just to have had three of these kids in the program for four years and the others for three, it was a great night for me personally. I was taking pictures like a proud daddy.”

Seniors recognized were De’Von Peterson, Tyshawn Jackson, Nick Doyle, Karon Evans and Michael Frazier.

The game, however, was the worst in Melbye’s tenure when it came to shooting.

“We couldn’t fall off a camel and find sand,” he said. “I couldn’t do anything, but shake my head and chuckle.”

“I mean lay-up after lay-up, great open looks at the bucket and not one seemed like it would go down without a fight,” Melbye continued. “I’m not sure if we made more than two jumpers all night. It was unbelievable.”

The Indians controlled the game for the most part. Most of Prince Edwards’ 16 first-half points came on transition buckets.

The Indians had a couple chances to win at the close of regulation play. A Doyle lay-up rattled of the rim with about 5 seconds remaining and time ran out as a scramble under the goal saw four Indian shots go up, but none of them found the twine and they headed to overtime, knotted up at 35.

The offensive struggles continued in overtime as three break-away lay-ups hit the bottom or sides of the rim. The three-minute drought on offense was broken by Doyle as he put up the only field goal during overtime to put the Indians up 37-35.

After a Prince Edward missed shot, Doyle was fouled on a rebound and made two free-throws to seal the win with 12 seconds to play in overtime.