Indians beat Sussex Central in OT

Published 9:11 am Wednesday, February 1, 2012

SUSSEX—Senior Nick Doyle’s 21 points led Southampton High School to a 74-71 non-conference, overtime win over Sussex Central on Monday.

The Indians improved to 12-6 and 3-3 in the Southside District.

“Doyle shot the ball well, but the performance of the night might have to go to fellow senior Karon Evans,” said Southampton Coach Will Melbye.

Evans had 11 points, seven rebounds, four blocks and two steals.

“Karon is Mr. Hustle for us,” Melbye said. “He is always going 110 miles per hour. He may not always be right, but he’s doing it full speed. Karon brings everything he’s got all night, every night.”

The second quarter saw the teams combine for 44 points; each had 8-0 runs. The Southampton run stretched its lead to 11 points, but back-to-back buckets cut that lead to six with less than a minute to go in the half.

Sussex came up with a loose ball and D. Gay scored his only three points of the night — a long three-pointer at the buzzer to leave Southampton with a 38-35 lead.

In the third quarter, the Indians stretched their lead to six on some tough buckets by Doyle and Travon Ellis. Southampton took a 53-47 lead into the fourth quarter.

Sussex put up 20, including a bucket with seven seconds left to erase the Southampton lead. A missed/blocked lay-up at the buzzer for the Indians sent the game to overtime.

In overtime, the teams traded empty trips down the floor before a Doyle bucket with 2½ minutes left gave the Indians a lead they would not relinquish. A final bucket by Tyshawn Jackson resulted in the Indian victory.

In action Friday, the Indians excelled in the second and third quarters to beat Greensville 69-58.

Senior De’Von Peterson came off the bench and put up 10 second-quarter points, including a three-point play that sent the Indians into the locker room up 31-20. The Indians finished the half on a 31-15 run.

In the second half, the play turned a bit rough with 13 Greensville fouls, including three technical fouls of which the Indians could not take full advantage of, missing nine free throws in the quarter.

The Indians stretched their lead to 19 at two different points in the game, but some big threes by Greensville allowed them to get the lead down to 11 twice. The Indians managed a 16-point lead headed into the fourth quarter.

Another pair of technical fouls on Greensville at the beginning of the quarter brought the game total to five on the visitors.

“I am real proud of our guys for keeping their heads tonight,” Melbye said. “There were a couple of times where I was worried, as this is a big rivalry for everyone involved, and things can get cranked up a bit.”

The Indians on Wednesday, Feb. 8, will host top-ranked and defending AA D3 state champions Brunswick. That night will feature the JV boys at 4:30 followed by the varsity girls and boys.