SA wins 68-16 on senior night

Published 11:47 pm Friday, October 7, 2011

COURTLAND–Pillow Field was anything but soft for the visiting Hobgood Academy as a well-tuned Southampton Academy football team won 68-16 on senior night.

SA was successful at every facet of the game early on, scoring on offense, defense and special teams and jumping out to a 46-0 lead in the first quarter.

“We played well in the beginning,” SA Coach Dale Marks said. “We ran the ball well, we caught the ball and we passed well.”

SA scored on its first drive of the game when senior quarterback Wesley Barnes connected with senior running back Thomas Taylor for a 25-yard touchdown pass. A Tonee Hill run gave the home team an 8-0 lead.

Hobgood fumbled the ensuing kickoff and SA quickly capitalized on its next offensive play, a 48-yard connection from Barnes to Hill. A Thomas run added two more points giving SA a 16-0 lead with 10:27 left in the first quarter.

Hobgood moved the ball 24 yards on its next drive before the SA defense stiffened and forced a punt. SA’s Hill returned the kick 80 yards for another Raider touchdown. A pass from Barnes to Matt Nixon added two points and increased the SA lead to 24 points with 4:53 left in the first quarter.

SA’s Taylor recovered a Hobgood fumble at the 8-yard line. SA scored one play later on an 8-yard jaunt by Barnes. A Hill run made the score 32-0 with 4:36 left in the first quarter.

Hobgood fumbled on its next drive. The fumble was recovered by Thomas again, this time at the SA 38-yard line. Barnes hit Nixon on a 68-yard pass on the next play and a Thomas run put SA up 40-0 with 1:57 left in the first quarter.

Hill intercepted Hobgood quarterback Christopher Braddy four plays into the ensuing drive. Hill returned it 40 yards for another SA touchdown. The Raiders failed to convert the two-point conversion, but led 46-0 at the end of the first quarter.

The two teams traded fumbles to start the second quarter.

Hobgood scored its first points of the game on a 46-yard Jawan Marshal run. Marshal converted the two-point play and cut into the SA lead at 46-8 with 8:50 left in the second quarter.

SA answered with two runs by Ethan Edwards that culminated in a 10-yard touchdown. SA failed to convert the two-point play and took a 52-6 lead with 7:39 left in the third quarter.

SA’s Todd Thorpe sacked Braddy to help end the ensuing drive and give SA the ball back on offense.

The teams traded fumbles again with Taylor picking up Hobgood’s mistake at the 20-yard line.

The half ended after failed drives by both teams and a 52-6 SA lead.

Marshal fumbled for Hobgood on its opening drive of the second half and SA’s Barnes was able to return it for a 46-yard touchdown. Edwards added 2 points and SA took a 60-8 lead with 9:58 left in the third quarter.

A mercy rule was called into effect at the start of the second half due to the lopsided score. As a result the game clock was only stopped after a touchdown, or for timeouts.

Edwards scored on SA’s next offensive series, running the ball 79 yards to pay dirt. Colin Swenson added two points and the Raiders lead was increased to 60 points at 68-8 with 37.5 seconds left in the third quarter.

Hobgood scored on its first drive of the fourth quarter. A 10-yard run by Marshal ended a 12-play, 80-yard drive and made the score 68-16 after Will Davis added two points.

Barnes completed 3-of-4 passes for 146 yards and three touchdowns. Edwards added two touchdowns on the ground for SA. The freshman had four carries for 118 yards.

Hobgood’s Marshal led all rushers with 21 carries for 162 yards and two touchdowns.

SA, 5-1 overall, travels for its final two games of the year. Marks said the team will not be playoff eligible due to its late entry into the Colonial Carolina Conference.

“Our team has done very well as far as my expectations,” Marks said.