Rain stops Southampton Academy game in the first quarter

Published 7:00 am Saturday, October 1, 2011

COURTLAND—What was shaping up as a homecoming shootout between the Southampton Academy Raiders and Arendell Parrott Academy Patriots fell victim to lightning and rain as game officials ended the contest less than halfway through the first quarter.

The visitors were leading 13-8 at the time.

Homecoming festivities went on anyway as school officials assembled the court and many spectators inside the gym to introduce and crown Homecoming Queen Brigitte Bradshaw. She was escorted by her father, Jeb Bradshaw.

With 6:58 remaining in the first quarter at Pillow Field, the officiating crew wasted little time in stopping the game after a flash of lighting appeared nearby. Rules require that games be delayed at least 20 minutes at the first sign of lighting. But after more than an hour of heavy rain and more lighting, school officials announced that the game would be postponed.

No information was available about possible rescheduling.

The game opened with the Patriots, on their first play from scrimmage, connecting on a 52-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Matt Hinson to Todd Bailey. The extra point was good for an early 7 -0 lead.

The Raiders responded on the ensuing drive. QB Wesley Barnes went to the air and connected on a 23-yard scoring toss to Tonee Hill. The same duo connected on a two-point conversion and the Raiders went ahead 8-7.

SA was successful with a short kickoff, and Hill recovered for the home team.

Barnes went back to the air again and connected on a pass to Todd Thorpe, but after running a few yards with the ball, he was stripped by the Patriots.

A few plays later, the Hinson-Bailey combination connected again for a 29-yard scoring pass. The extra point failed, but the visitors were up 13-8.

Before the Patriots could kick off, the game was stopped.

The Raiders, 4-1, hope to get back on track next week when they host Hobgood at 7 p.m. in Courtland.