Grease fire engulfs Dorchester Square apartment
Published 8:33 pm Thursday, January 8, 2015
A grease fire has resulted in a Dorchester Square Apartments unit being burned out this evening. Franklin Fire and Rescue Department Captain Tim Dunn was able to later confirm that no one was hurt during the incident.
Fire crews got the call at 5:47 p.m., and were on the scene shortly after. Chief Vince Holt said that on arrival, apartment A-2 was already fully involved in flame. Within 10 minutes, Holt said, crews had knocked down the fire and were able to mostly contain it to unit A-2.
“I think the crew did a good job knocking the fire down, and getting it under control pretty quickly for the amount of fire they had when they got here,” he said.
However, through an upstairs window, apartment A-1 suffered some damage on the outside and in the stairwell, said Dunn. Thanks to the fire wall — the connecting brick portion between the units — only a little bit of smoke damage occurred in unit A-3.
After an hour on scene, at approximately 7 p.m., he said the crews had put out the remaining embers that were burning in the walls. Dunn also said crews would remain on scene working to make sure nothing rekindled.
A woman on scene confirmed that she lived in the affected unit, A-2, and that she was unhurt, but she did not wish to talk about the experience.
“We are just thankful that no one was hurt,” said Dunn.
Members of the management team of Dorchester Square Apartments were surveying the damage, but they declined to comment.
As apartment A-2 is unlivable, Dunn said the American Red Cross would be contacted to assist the apartment dweller with a place to stay.