IWA wins first conference match

Published 11:17 am Saturday, September 6, 2014

ISLE OF WIGHT COURTHOUSE—Isle of Wight Academy’s Aaron Fronfelter had a big night, catching three touchdown passes totalling 133 yards. He also snagged 1 interception and assisted in another to lead the Chargers to a 39-14 victory against VISAA Virginia Commonwealth Conference football foe Kenston Forest.

IWA’s Alec Edwards takes the ball to the left side during the second half. He rushed for 123 yards on the night. -- CAIN MADDEN | TIDEWATER NEWS

IWA’s Alec Edwards takes the ball to the left side during the second half. He rushed for 123 yards on the night. — CAIN MADDEN | TIDEWATER NEWS

“Aaron had a really good game tonight,” Chargers Head Coach Dale Chapman said. “He really had a breakout game. The thing about us, though, is that you never really know from week-to-week who is going to break out.”

Alec Edwards also had a good night on the ground, earning 123 yards over 16 carries.

Isle of Wight Academy started off fast, getting the ball at kickoff and Edwards, on the second play from scrimmage, took the ball 35 yards down the field to the 14 yard-line. Fronfelter was handed the ball a few plays later and brought it down to the 2, and the Chargers handed the rock to fullback Carson Robertson, who knew where to take it. Edwards hit the extra point and the score was 7-0 with 9:37 left.

The Chargers forced a three and out and got right back on offense, driving the ball to the 35 yard line when quarterback Bryce Casey found tight end Matt Byrd on a slant and he brought it to the 6-yard line. Casey then found Fronfelter on a screen, and he ran it in from 5 yards out one play later. Edwards’ kick was blocked, and the score was 13-0 with 4:13 in the half.

The Kavaliers would have a short 8-play drive that resulted in quarterback Hayden Gunn being picked off by Fronfelter.

The Kavs would force a 3-and-out, however, and get the ball back only to have a 3-and-out of their own as the second quarter got going.

Three plays later, the Chargers decided to go for it when facing a 4 and 1, and Edwards got that yard along with 5 more. One play later Casey would find Fronfelter for a 50-yard touchdown. The kick was good and IWA went up 20-0 with 6:04 left in the half.

That would be the scoring for the half, though with time expiring Casey tried to force a pass into the end zone and was picked off by Jeb Buchanan.

The Chargers would return the favor early in the third, with Fronfelter bobbling an interception into the hands of fellow Charger Chad McCann. On the second play of the ensuing drive, Casey found Fronfelter for a 67-yard touchdown toss. The kick missed its mark, and the Chargers went up 26-0 with 8:53 in the third.

Three plays into the Kavs drive, McCann recovered a fumble on a backwards pass, and the Chargers made them pay. Casey would reward McCann with a 30-yard pass down the sideline that he caught in the endzone for a touchdown. Edwards found the mark on the kick, and the score was 33-0 with 6:53 left.

The conference foes would trade three-and-outs, and Kenston Forest would finally get something going on what seemed like an incomplete pass.

On 2nd down and 4 to go, the Kavs’ Gunn threw a pass to Cameron Hobbs. The pass hit the ground before bouncing up to Hobbs, but the whistle never blew as he picked it up and made a b-line for the endzone. The Chargers in the area assumed it an incomplete pass, and by the time they got back into it and caught up to Hobbs, he had hit the pylon for the score. The kick was good and the score was 33-7.

The Chargers would answer, however, as Robertson culminated a 10-play drive from 20 yards out with a touchdown run. The kick was wide left, but the Chargers went up 39-7 with 4:46 left in the game.

With the Chargers’ second team in, the Kavs would get a second score after a 4-minute and 7-second 8-play drive, with Ira Woodley toting it in from 16 yards out.

After the kickoff, the Chargers went into the V formation with 39-seconds left in the game and took home the conference victory 39-14.

“I give Kenston Forest full credit,” Chapman said. “They fought hard the whole game. It was kind of a deal where we had some big plays, and unfortunately for them, they didn’t. But it was a hard-fought, typical VCC matchup.”

The Chargers, now 2-1 overall and 1-0 in conference, are off this upcoming week.