Jack Camp passes at 92

Published 10:43 am Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jack Camp of Franklin and Wilmington, N.C., passed away at 2 a.m. today in Wilmington. He was 92. SUBMITTED

WILMINGTON, N.C.—Jack Camp, one of the last surviving Camp family members who played a prominent role in Franklin’s paper mill and sawmill, died at 2 a.m. today at New Hanover Medical Center in Wilmington, N.C.

He was 92.

Camp’s funeral will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 13, at Franklin Baptist Church, where he was an active member. Franklin Police Chief Phil Hardison will provide the honor guard for the service.

Camp’s youngest son, Robert, said this morning his father was “pretty robust” until two months go. Jack Camp had been suffering from a series of ailments, including small strokes and heart arrhythmia. His death was due to respiratory arrest and heart failure.

“I think it’s (the loss of Camp) going to mean something to (Franklin), particularly the church and the police department. He was a strong advocate,” Robert Camp said.

Friend Dr. Robert T. Edwards called Camp’s passing “a great loss to the community.”

“He dedicated his life to this city,” said Edwards, an 86-year-old retired Franklin dentist. “He and his family were my patients and my friends. He lived on Meadow Lane and we lived on Park Circle.”

Born July 8, 1919, in Wallace, N.C., Jack Camp’s great-grandparents founded the paper mill in Franklin. In 1999, it was sold to International Paper, and shut down in 2010.

Jack Camp grew up in Franklin, hunting quail and horseback riding.

“He used to ride his horse downtown and sometimes to the mill when he was a kid,” Robert Camp said.

Jack Camp and his late wife, Jean Stafford Camp, who passed in 1983, had four children. In addition to Robert of Crozier were John Camp of Alexandria, Sharon Camp Carter of Richmond and Jean Camp Harrell of Crozier.

Jack Camp married Rachel Cameron Camp 22 years ago. They shared their time between Franklin and her home in Wilmington.

A World War II veteran who served in India, China and Burma, Jack Camp came home and worked in management at the mill before retiring in 1984.