Mistakes lead Windsor to 20-18 loss

Published 11:25 am Monday, October 4, 2010

Windsor quarterback Austin Winkles carries the ball during Saturday night's game against Northumberland. Winkles rushed for 85 yards and two touchdowns during the Dukes' 20-18 loss. -- Andrew Faison


WINDSOR—A failed conversion in the fourth quarter left Windsor 2 points shy of tying Saturday night’s game with Northumberland, which held on for the 20-18 win.

Northumberland also capitalized on two fumbles by Windsor’s R.J. Edwards. Both times, Northumberland’s Zach Donvan recovered the ball for two first half touchdowns.

“We made too many mistakes,” said Windsor Coach Chuck Parrish, “It’s that simple. That sums it up pretty well. We can’t turn the ball over, and we can’t have dumb penalties, that’s it.”

The Dukes accumulated 268 yards in offense compared to the Indians’ 200.

Leading the Dukes was Austin Winkles who had 10 rushes for 85 yards, including two touchdowns, and 66 yards passing, while R. J. Edwards had an additional 10 carries for 79 yards.

Chris Waller had 44 yards rushing as well as 65 yards passing for the Indians.

Donvan got things rolling for the Indians with 3:50 left in the first quarter after recovering an Edwards’ fumble and running for a 73-yard touchdown. Waller ran in for the 2-point conversion.

Donvan scored again in the second quarter on a 53-yard run after recovering an Edwards’ fumble with 5:20 left in the half. The 2-point conversion by Waller failed, giving the Indians a 14-0 lead.

Winkles got things back on track for the Dukes with a 34-yard run to the Northumberland 6-yard line with 3:31 left in the half. Less than a minute later, he scored from the 1-yard line.

On the Indians’ next possession, Daniel Boyd found the end zone from 3 yards out with 8 seconds left in the half. The 2-point conversion was no good.

The Indians opened the second half with the ball, but with 8:31 left in the third quarter, John Jones fumbled it on the Windsor 35-yard line. Charlie Perfetti recovered the ball for the Dukes.

With 7:16 left in the quarter, Winkles found the end zone from 42 yards out. The extra point attempt failed.

With 5:29 left in the game, Windsor took possession of the ball after a botched 10-yard punt from Jones. With 2:23 left in the game, Edwards found the end zone from 8 yards out. The 2-point conversion to tie the game was no good.

The Dukes’ went for an onside kick, and after the ball bounced off the chest of a Northumberland player, Bryce Lawrence recovered it. But with 1:25 left on the clock, a pass by Winkles was deflected and intercepted by Bradley Exline. The Indians ran out the clock.

The Dukes (2-3) will travel to Arcadia Friday for a 7 p.m. game.