Hobbs wins Northwest District school board seat

Published 5:25 pm Thursday, November 16, 2023

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The inaugural election for Southampton County School Board seats took place this year, and Cassandra D. B. Hobbs won the first contested election for a seat on the board, defeating Paula L. Dullas in the race to represent the Northwest District.

“History has been made,” Hobbs stated. “On Nov. 7, 2023, the first election for seats on the Southampton County School Board was a momentous occurrence for our county. As the first candidate to compete and win the seat to represent the Northwest District, I am excited, honored and appreciative. The experience of going door-to-door, seeking petition signatures, afforded me the privilege to meet and gain the respect of so many amazing people whom I look forward to supporting as I work alongside the other Southampton County School Board members.”

According to unofficial results from the Virginia Department of Elections, Hobbs received 707 total votes, translating to 57.57% of the vote, while Dullas received 507 votes, equaling 41.29%.

There were 14 write-in votes, representing 1.14% of the vote.

“I am so grateful that the constituents of Southampton County’s Northwest District placed their confidence in me to serve on the School Board,” Hobbs said. “It is truly my mission to use my knowledge and skills to help and to serve. In a community where we communicate, collaborate and cooperate, we can accomplish so much. I look forward to working with (Board Chair) Dr. (Deborah) Goodwyn and the other School Board members to help (Superintendent) Dr. (Gwendolyn) Shannon and her staff enrich the lives of the wonderful children of Southampton County.”

Dullas, on her campaign’s Facebook page, congratulated Hobbs early Wednesday morning, Nov. 8, and Dullas shared her thoughts on the results of the race with The Tidewater News later that day.

“I think I ran a transparent and honest campaign, and I think the (507) voters that voted for me knew about it and trusted me with their vote,” she said. “I don’t know too much about the other candidate. I didn’t see her campaign at all. I don’t know what she stands for at all. I don’t know her goals, except what I read in Tidewater News. So I don’t know how she was able to get to that number, but it’s the citizens’ decision, so I’ll respect it.”

Brandon L. Rodgers was running unopposed on the ballot for the school board’s Northeast District seat, and he received 94.44% of the vote, with 1,307 votes. There were 77 write-in votes, accounting for the other 5.56%.

Jennifer A. Tindle ran unopposed for the school board’s Southeast District seat, and she received 1,256 votes, which was 98.98% of the vote. There were 13 write-in votes, representing the other 1.02% of the vote.