Southampton football game cut short after disturbance

Published 8:45 pm Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The Southampton High School varsity football home game Friday, Sept. 23, was in its final minutes when it ended prematurely after a disturbance occurred around a section of bleachers. The disturbance was reportedly in connection with the possibility of a man being in possession of a gun, but no gun was actually witnessed or located after a search, according to the Southampton County Sheriff’s Office.

A sheriff’s office news release stated that at about 9:35 p.m. at the football game, deputies were alerted to a disturbance when several persons attending the game ran away from a section of bleachers. Deputies and school officials went to that area to investigate. 

“A student stated that an unknown male made a gesture of having a gun, but a gun had not been seen,” sheriff’s office officials said in the release. “Others that had been in the area were asked about the incident, and all stated that they had not actually seen a gun. Additional persons were interviewed and stated that they had heard rumors of someone having a gun, but they had not actually seen a gun.”

A thorough search of the area was conducted, and no guns or other weapons were located, police stated.

Two students were identified as having been involved in a physical altercation that was apparently unrelated to the statements of the male that allegedly gestured about having a gun, the release noted. School officials were made aware of the students involved.

Sheriff’s office officials stated that a third individual suspected of being involved in an altercation was asked to leave the property and, after refusing to do so, was taken into custody for trespassing and disorderly conduct.

“The game was ended prematurely, but I do not have any information as to who made that decision, just that it occurred while these incidents were taking place,” Maj. Camden Cobb stated in the release.

He concluded the release by noting that a follow-up investigation had been conducted by the sheriff’s office and school officials, but no additional details or credible information had been discovered. There are no additional charges pending at this time.