Man convicted in ’18 murder of Franklin man

Published 6:27 pm Friday, September 2, 2022

A three-day jury trial in Prince George Circuit Court last week resulted in Erick Obando being found guilty of the 2018 murder of Kenneth Moore, a 36-year-old Franklin man.

The investigation found that Moore had been killed in Prince George, but his body had been brought to Sussex County, where it was discovered Jan. 12, 2018.

Near the end of January 2018, three suspects were taken into custody in connection with the case: Obando, of Prince George, who was 24 at the time; Christopher Jared Crowder, of Dinwiddie County, who was 18; and a third suspect who was unnamed because he was a juvenile at the time.

Obando’s jury trial ran last week from Aug. 22-24. Prince George County Commonwealth’s Attorney Susan O’Prandy Fierro confirmed Tuesday, Aug. 30, that Obando was convicted of one count each of first-degree murder, robbery, concealing a dead body, conspiracy to rob, and conspiracy to conceal a dead body.

Fierro noted that Obando’s sentencing hearing is set for Nov. 17. 

The commonwealth’s attorney also provided summaries on the cases of the other two suspects. She stated that Crowder’s case is concluded.

“He pled guilty to voluntary manslaughter, robbery, concealing a dead body, conspiracy to rob, and conspiracy to conceal a dead body,” she said. “His sentence was 60 years with 51 years suspended, and he is currently serving his sentence in the Department of Corrections.”

Revealing the name of the third suspect, Fierro said Jacob Wadsworth’s case is pending sentencing.

“He pled guilty to the same charges as Mr. Crowder,” she said. “We have not set a sentencing date, but his active time in prison will not exceed nine years pursuant to the plea agreement. The court will be setting the amount of active time, suspended time, and terms of probation.”