Portion of Route 666 to close for bridge repair project
Published 6:17 pm Thursday, July 21, 2022
Route 666 (Old Branchville Road) will be closed in both directions to through traffic between Route 667 (Sykes Farm Road) and Route 659 (Vicks Millpond Road) starting as early as Monday, July 18, and continuing through the summer. The closure will allow for a bridge repair project in Southampton County.
A Virginia Department of Transportation news release noted that access will be maintained to all existing private property entrances within this corridor.
During the closure, crews with VDOT will repair the existing bridge abutments and scour the Route 666 bridge over Tarrara Creek.
This work is expected to continue through summer 2022. All construction work is dependent upon weather conditions, and the schedule is subject to change. Signed detours will be in place directing traffic as follows:
For motorists traveling southbound from Route 666 (Old Branchville Road) and Route 667 (Sykes Farm Road):
- Turn right on Route 35 (Meherrin Road)
- Turn right on Route 186 (Beaton Avenue)
- Turn right on Route 730 (Main Street)
- Route 730 (Main Street) turns into Route 666 (Old Branchville Road)
For motorists traveling northbound from Route 666 (Old Branchville Road) and Route 730 (Main Street):
- Turn left on Route 186 (Broad Street)
- Turn left on Route 35 (Meherrin Road)
- Turn left on Route 667 (Powells Hill Road)
- Turn left on Route 666 (Old Branchville Road)
Motorists are encouraged to visit www.511virginia.org, call 511, download Virginia’s free 511 Virginia mobile app or 511-integrated Waze app for current traffic and travel information.