IWA sports roundup: Girls hoops No. 8 in state
Published 6:14 pm Wednesday, February 2, 2022
By James J. Lidington
Isle of Wight Academy
Banner Christian School’s Zach Kennedy and Caleb McNeely each scored 12 points as the Bearcats out-dueled the host Isle of Wight Academy varsity boys basketball team 56-29 on Jan. 28.
Senior Trent Holland had 17 for Isle of Wight and leads the Chargers (6-5, 5-4 Virginia Colonial Conference) in scoring, with 13.4 points per game.
The IWA varsity girls basketball team ran its record to 8-3, 7-1 in the VCC, with wins against Denbigh Baptist Christian School, 51-22, and Banner Christian, 50-20, Jan. 27 and 28, respectively.
The Lady Chargers are ranked eighth in the Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association’s Division II poll of medium-sized schools.
The IWA junior varsity boys squad dropped to 4-3, 5-2 in the VCC, with a 48-41 defeat to Norfolk Academy on Jan. 25.
Evan Bracy leads the team, scoring 16.3 points per game.
Two meets remain for the IWA indoor track team to qualify for the state championship’s one division, making spots all the more precious.
Junior Pierce Cutler is close to qualifying in the 1000-meter run; the qualifying time is 2:54.70, and his most recent time is 3 seconds off, coach Margarita Castillo said.
Glenn Walters needs to run a 7.1 time in the 55-meter event and recently ran that race at 7.7 seconds, Castillo said.
IWA girls runners, on the other hand, have already qualified in the following events:
- senior Lorraine Upton — 500 meters, 1000 meters, 3200 meters;
- junior Hannah Edwards — 300 meters, 500 meters;
- junior Hannah McClain — 500 meters, 1000 meters.
Edwards will run in the East Coast Invitational on Feb. 4 in order to qualify to run at the Adidas Track Nationals in March.
A look ahead:
- The IWA girls basketball teams were to host Kenston Forest School Monday, Jan. 31, at 4:30 and 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 1, the school’s three boys basketball teams were set to travel to Kenston Forest for games at 4:30, 5:30 and 7 p.m.; the IWA indoor track team was also set to run in a meet at the Boo Williams SportsPlex.
- Wednesday, Feb. 2, middle school and junior varsity girls basketball teams host Blessed Sacrament Huguenot School at 5 and 6 p.m.
- The three boys basketball teams travel to Huguenot Thursday, Feb. 3, for games at 4:30, 5:30 and 7 p.m.
- Friday, Feb. 4, middle school boys, JV girls and varsity boys basketball teams play host to Tidewater Academy at 4:30, 5:30 and 7 p.m.