FRHA announces a new direction
Published 5:55 pm Wednesday, February 2, 2022
After two years of hard work and dedication, the Franklin Redevelopment and Housing Authority’s Board of Commissioners has named Gwendolyn Blue as executive director.
An FRHA press release continued by noting that under Blue’s leadership, the agency has reemerged as an entity that will participate in the redevelopment of residential neighborhoods in the city of Franklin, Isle of Wight and Southampton counties, while continuing to promote personal, economic and social upward mobility to provide families the opportunity to make the transition from subsidized to unsubsidized housing. Providing safe, decent and sanitary housing conditions for very low-income families while managing resources efficiently continues to be a priority.
Utilizing her skills in managing the overall operations and resources of the organization and being the main point of communication with the board, Blue has developed and implemented high-level strategies and made major organizational decisions to create a new brand for FRHA. Those strategies have resulted in the following:
- The building and motivating of a team that shares the vision and dedication of ensuring the success of FRHA’s new direction. Team members are Christopher Smith, Fredia Carruth, Gwen Jordan, Von Boone-Randolph, Francis Sharp, Laverne Copeland and Guy Myrick.
- Relocation to 1343 Armory Drive in Armory Plaza and furnishing the office.
- The reestablishment of a working relationship between the agency and Franklin City Council.
- Reestablishment of a working relationship with the agency’s creditors.
- The sale of 100 E. Fourth Ave. and payment of all outstanding taxes to the city of Franklin.
- The purchase of three scattered properties for public housing.
- Receipt of the Family Self-Sufficiency Grant of $111,085.
- The sale of the lot at 200 Fourth Ave.
- A letter of engagement with Credle Jones CPA Firm.
- An agreement with Isle of Wight County to provide public housing as well as Section 8 vouchers.
The FRHS Board of Commissioners is composed of Chairman Andrew Page, Vice Chairman Antonio Parham, Charlie Ashburn, Herman Harper, Mona Murphy and Robert Taylor.
For more information, visit the FRHA website at www.franklinva.org.