Police: Bad drug deal led to IW murder

Published 5:29 pm Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...


Casey Dakota Cagle’s Dec. 5 murder in Carrsville was a drug deal turned robbery attempt that went bad, according to the Isle of Wight Sheriff’s Office.

Investigators charged 20-year-old Jaylin La’Shun Freeman and 19-year-old Shamon Reid-Wilkerson with second degree murder in connection with Cagle’s killing. Freeman is also charged with robbery and use of a firearm in a felony. Reid-Wilkerson is also charged with robbery, first offense use of a firearm in a felony and conspiracy to commit felony robbery.

Court documents provide more detail about what led to the 19-year-old Cagle’s death.

The circumstances that led to the shooting began just after 9 p.m. on Dec. 5, when Cagle drove into the neighborhood to 2591 Elmwood Drive “and did not leave,” according to investigators who used surveillance video and cell phone location logs to corroborate the information they uncovered. Investigators used tips from the public to help build the case.

At 9:09 p.m., a person named “Ghost,” later identified as Freeman, messaged Cagle through Snapchat.

In an interview with Investigator Sean D. Lacy at the Isle of Wight County Sheriff’s Office, Freeman admitted to shooting Cagle, according to a criminal complaint filed with the court.

“Casey Cagle died as a result of a gunshot wound to his head,” Lacy wrote. “Freeman also admitted to stealing an ounce of marijuana that Cagle brought to sell Freeman.” Cagle, who lived in Southampton County, was found dead on Dec. 6 in a vehicle in the mobile home park. The medical examiner ruled his death a homicide.

On Dec. 18, a caller to the crime tip line told an Isle of Wight sheriff’s sergeant that Freeman “was involved in a drug deal with Cagle and it went bad.” The tipster also told investigators that Cagle attempted to shoot Freeman and Freeman shot back. Freeman also was “requesting a ride tonight to another location so that he could make it into North Carolina.”

Freeman was arrested on Dec. 18 at a Franklin apartment complex. Police found his phone behind a panel in a wall. He agreed to speak with investigators and told them that “he obtained the gun from Shamon, while at 2135 Elmwood Drive, just prior to the homicide.”

Freeman told Reid-Wilkerson that he needed the gun in order to rob Cagle, Lacy said in court documents. “Freeman gave the gun back to Reid-Wilkerson after the killing and Reid-Wilkerson, in turn, gave the gun “to another person that has been identified.”

Reid-Wilkerson was arrested on Dec. 21 in the Isle of Wight County Sheriff’s Office. Both suspects are in custody in the Western Tidewater Regional Jail. They are both next due in court on April 29, according to online court records.