Update: Gas leak on Thomaston Road fixed

Published 3:18 pm Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...


The Newsoms Volunteer Fire Department and Boykins Fire & Rescue were called to the scene of a propane gas leak in the 22000 block of Thomaston Road at 1:10 p.m. on Dec. 30.

According to the Newsoms VFD’s Facebook page, units arrived to find a small liquid propane leak from a valve on an above-ground propane storage tank. Due to the nature of the leak, a state hazardous materials team from the Chesapeake Fire Department was dispatched to assist.

Once the team arrived, a portion of the propane was flared or burned off in a controlled manner to safely control the leak. The leak was stopped at 4:15 p.m.

With the leak secured, the scene was turned over to the responsible gas company to remove the remaining propane from the tank and make the needed repairs.

This was a small propane leak that did not require any evacuations, but the occupant of the home where the tank was located self-evacuated until the leak was secured. No injuries were reported during this incident.

The leak was the result of the tank being overfilled with the overfill occurring as a result of a malfunction in the tank’s valves. Thomaston Road and Freeman Street were closed to traffic for the duration of the incident.