Body ID’d as Cynthia Carver

Published 5:28 pm Wednesday, March 20, 2019


The body of a female found by a person on Tuesday morning in a southern part of Suffolk has been positively identified as Cynthia Carver, the Newsoms resident who disappeared from her home on Everett Street on Feb. 22.

This confirmation, made by the Medical Examiner’s Office in Norfolk this morning, comes from Sheriff Jack Stutts of the Southampton County Sheriff’s Office. Maj. Gene Drewery, spokesman, also stated that the family has been notified.

The Sheriff’s Office investigators, along with other agencies, are continuing the investigation to determine who is responsible for this crime. Anyone with information can call 609-2482,” said Drewery. He also commended the Suffolk Police as well as the FBI for their help in the investigation.

Carver had last been seen on Thomaston Road around 9 o’clock on Feb. 21. Her mother, Ann, had first reported her daughter missing early afternoon of the next day after seeing her daughter’s vehicle in the driveway. The 34-year-old mother of two children was supposed to have started a new job that morning. Going to the house, Ann reportedly found the back door open. When deputies arrived, they went in to see if there was anyone inside. What was discovered was evidence of blood and a knife. The premises were secured and search warrants were obtained.

Even civilians from the Newsoms community and beyond participated in seeking her. Jeremiah Cole, the pastor of Carver’s church, Mt. Tabor Baptist, was among those people who organized search parties the following week. The congregation also hosted a prayer service that welcomed the community to pray for Carver, her family and also the investigators.

On March 5, the sheriff’s office and Norfolk Bureau of the FBI had a press conference, in which representatives stated the believed the woman had been abducted. They based this information partly on evidence of found receipts that came from Portsmouth and Norfolk on Feb. 21. At the same time, there was no reason to think she was not alive.

There were no suspects named at the time, but a vehicle was identified, a silver Chrysler, maybe a Chrysler 200 or similar, was reported seen leaving Carver’s home the night of the abduction. She was known to be active on social media, and it was believed that she was going to meet someone that evening. Investigators have also been working to get warrants to search her mobile phone and other media accounts for clues to her location.

The FBI’s Norfolk Bureau has also been helping, and the following week even offered a $5,000 for information that could lead to Carver’s whereabouts.