Lady Indians edge win over Lady Broncos, 50-45

Published 10:47 am Wednesday, January 23, 2019

There were several ties and lead changes during the first quarter of play in the Southampton High School gym between the Southampton Lady Indians and the Franklin High Lady Broncos. By the end of the quarter, the score was tied 9 all. For the Indians, Kayli Hite had the hot hand as she scored all 9 of those points.

During the second quarter, the home team continued to hold the lead as Hite received some help from Shakayle Slede while she helped offensively with six points. This aided the Lady Indians to increase their lead to 25-16 by the end of the first half.

Going into the third quarter, the Lady Broncos came to life and made a run at the Lady Indians. Tamiya Handshaw scored two 3-pointers, but they just couldn’t close that gap enough. The Lady Indians cranked back up the offense again to a 35-26 led at the end of the quarter.

The Lady Broncos continued to play hard, and by the 4:05 mark the Lady Broncos’ Ny’Keria Graydon scored a basket to narrow the Lady Indians’ lead to 38-37. But once more, the Lady Indians cranked up the offense to pull ahead 46-40 by the 1:47 mark. The Lady Broncos closed the lead to 48-45 with :14 left to play. Offensively, the fourth quarter was their best, outscoring the Lady Indians 19-14 for the quarter. A key factor was that the Lady Broncos missed seven shots from the free-throw line in the final quarter of play.

In scoring, Lady Indians had two players in double figures. They were Kayli Hite with 18 points and Shakayle Slede with 16 points.

For the Lady Broncos, two players, Tamiya Handshaw and Jamia Flythe, both scored 17 points apiece.

Southampton High School Lady Indian head coach Littleton Parker said after the game, “A good ball game tonight. It was close and could have gone either way. I thought that Franklin played very hard. We fought and played hard and managed to get the lead at the half and held the lead for most of the second half. It was back and forth and they made a run down at the end, and then we came back and made a run and finally end up winning by five.”