Nominations sought for third Wall of Excellence
Published 2:34 pm Friday, April 6, 2018
New names and faces are sought for the Franklin Community Wall of Excellence, this year being the third for honoring alumni of Franklin High School who have made personal achievements and contributions to the community.
So far, seven people have been acknowledged in the first two years, and the committee that supports this recognition believes there are many more worthy candidates. Nominations for the Class of 2018 are due by Tuesday, May 1.
As before, there are five categories in which to suggest someone.
• Academic or Career Accomplishment: This person must be a graduate of Franklin or Hayden high schools who has achieved outstanding accomplishments in his/her chosen career.
• Athletic Accomplishment: This person must be a graduate of Franklin High School or Hayden High School with records achieved at the district level or above, was a state winner or qualifier during their high school athletic career, or with recognized accomplishments at the post-secondary, professional or coaching level.
• Cultural/Performing Arts: This person must be a graduate of Franklin or Hayden high school who has been recognized for achievement in the performing arts, or a graduate who has contributed to the promotion of cultural activities.
• Outstanding Service to Franklin or Hayden high schools: This category will honor worthy individuals who may or may not have graduated from FHS or HHS. This person will have supported and/or advanced the name and philosophy of the school in a positive manner or had an exemplary influence on the lives of students.
• Special Honorary Achievement: This category will honor worthy individuals who may or may not have graduated from either high school. This person may present a special situation for which the committee may wish to use this recognition.
For the first three categories, nominees must have graduated from either school 10 years prior to the nomination. Again, note that nominations of non-FHS or non-HHS graduates can only be accepted for the latter two categories.
Nominations can be made online by going to the Franklin City Public Schools website, www.fcpsva.org, under the “About Us/Community” tab.
Paper copies of the nomination form are available at Bronco Federal Credit Union, the Ruth Camp Campbell Memorial Library, Franklin High School, J.P. King Jr. Middle School, S.P. Morton Elementary School and the Franklin City Public Schools Central Office.
Either way, a detailed resume’ for the nominee should accompany each application.
The Class of 2018 will be introduced at halftime of the Franklin versus Windsor football game on Friday, Oct. 26. The induction banquet will take place on Saturday, Oct. 27, in Cypress Cove Country Club. Tickets for the event will go on sale to the public this fall.
The Franklin Community Wall of Excellence is located at Franklin High School adjacent to the gymnasium. No more than six people will be inducted per year. In addition to submitting the nomination, a detailed resume’ or letter of recommendation for the nominee must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Wall of Excellence, c/o Nancy Parrish, 180 Bobwhite Lane, Franklin, VA 23851.
For more information on the Franklin Community Wall of Excellence or for assistance in submitting a nomination, contact FHS Principal Travis Felts at 562-5187 or 651-9384, or by e-mail at email@example.com.