Church hosting Community Day for public
Published 1:26 pm Wednesday, April 4, 2018
by Mary Worrell
Can you believe it is finally April? Time for a break in the wintery weather and — best of all — time for Community Day. High Street United Methodist Church is holding a huge Community Day on Saturday, April 21. You have probably seen the flyers or heard about it through word-of-mouth. I am here to tell you some particulars.
Our Community Day is going to be a free event for the whole family. The event starts at 10 a.m. and ends at 4 p.m. In between are sandwiched lots of activities for young and not-so-young. We are offering free hotdogs, chips and bottled water from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. We will have free popcorn from 1 to 3 p.m. Don’t forget to bring your lawn chair so you can take a break while you eat.
Many of the kids’ activities are on-going, meaning no start/end time. The moon bounce and slide are examples.Susan Holloway will have her ponies and will give cart rides. Grazin’ Acres will also be on hand with their horses. The United Way board will offer rock painting.
We will have tours of the church guided by Gaynelle Riddick and her ambassadors. Also inside, we will have ballroom dancing, knitting and flower arranging. Cooking classes and photography will also be offered. And for a real treat, Mike Pollard and Cary Kirkland will hold a piano and organ performance.
Our United Methodist Youth group will have lots of games for children. There will be games in the gaga pit, playground and, if completed in time, the swings. The youth are also having a Cornhole Tournament, so practice up and you might win.
There are many organizations signed up to have a booth and/or a demonstration. Will Hart will be our DJ and we will also have other special music.
The following is a tentative schedule of times as of March 20. These times are subject to change:
Activity; Instructor; Time; Location
• Knitting; Margaret Mackan; 10 a.m.-3 p.m.; Café
• Church tours; Gaynelle Riddick; 10 a.m.-3 p.m.; Fellowship Hall
• Music; Alex Dunlow; 10 a.m.-noon; Courtyard outside
• Chair Yoga; Kenny Ward; 10:15-11:15 a.m. Fellowship Hall
• Kids Yoga; Anita Falcone; 10:30-11:30 a.m.; Teen Center
• Cooking Class – Smoothies, Venezuelan & More; Ted Fries, Loida Dongarra and Erin Belt; 11 a.m.-noon; Kitchen;
• Flower Arranging; Beth Luck; 11-11:45 a.m.; Fellowship Hall
• Dogs and Chips; Lunch while they last; 11 a.m.-1 p.m.; Outside in Food Court
• Piano/Organ Concert; Mike Pollard/Cary Kirkland; Noon-12:30 p.m.; Sanctuary
• Cake Decorating for Kids; Donna Dudley; 12:30-1:30 p.m. Kitchen
• Music; Ed Canada & Common Ground Band; 1-3 p.m.; Courtyard Outside
• Zumba; Tonya Skinner; 1-2 p.m.; Outside
• Photography; Bill Billings; 1-2:30 p.m.; Teen Center
• Ballroom Dancing; Elaine Fenters; 2:30-3:30; Fellowship Hall
• Taped services from the past; the Rev. Nathan Decker; Continuous; Sanctuary
Come out, visit with your friends, have a hotdog and see what’s happening at High Street United Methodist Church’s Community Day — Better Together 2018. You will be glad you did!
KATHY WORRELL is the marketing chair at the church. Contact her at 562-3367.