No injuries from house fire

Published 9:46 am Wednesday, February 21, 2018

No one was hurt when a fire erupted in a house at the end of Yeidee Street in Franklin late afternoon on Monday.

Capt. Tim Dunn of the Franklin Fire Department said the department got the call at 4:33 p.m. The firefighters were assisted by members of the Hunterdale Volunteer Fire Department. Flames were coming out of the first-floor windows on arrival.

“Fire grows so quickly,” said Dunn. He added that intensity of the heat was such that it destroyed sheet rock in the ceiling. The situation was brought under control and the firefighters were done by 5:52 p.m.

Carzette Perry identified herself as the homeowner. Though she’s had the place for five to six years she lives elsewhere. Her sister, Aviance Warren, and her family lived in the house.

Warren said her son alerted her of lights flickering in a bedroom. She went in and saw them flicker and then a flash of light coming from behind a bed. Immediately the family evacuated the building.

The cause could not yet be determined, but based on Warren’s account, an electrical short may be the suspect.

Afterward, a couple of firefighters escorted Warren and Perry to retrieve any recoverable needed items such as clothes. Dunn said that Red Cross had been contacted and the family would get a temporary shelter.