Martinsville man wanted on murder charge arrested in Franklin

Published 10:35 pm Thursday, January 11, 2018

A Martinsville man wanted on a charge of first-degree murder in that city has been arrested in Franklin. The announcement was made on Thursday evening by Capt. Tim Whitt, spokesman for the Franklin Police Department.
Terrell Kiwon Martin, 24, had been sought by law enforcement since Dec. 30 when officers in that city answered a call of a fight at a service station at 12:17 a.m. They found the victim, Tyrone A. Herndon, had been wounded by a gunshot. He was taken to a hospital, but died later. This information comes from WDBJ 7 TV station.
Further, investigation pointed to Martin, and warrants were made, charging him with first-degree murder, use of a firearm in commission of a felony, reckless handling of a firearm and using a firearm in the city.
The suspect was described as armed and dangerous.
Whitt stated that at approximately 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sgt. Thomas spoke with a Sgt. Jones from Martinsville Police Department, who advised that himself, Sgt. H.T. Durham, and State Police Special Agent Odell would be in 700 block of Bolling Street in reference to locating a murder suspect.
Approximately 30 minutes later, dispatch advised that they have the murder suspect under arrest and that they were located specifically at 724 Bolling St.
Thomas and Det. Bailey arrived on scene to assist as needed. On arrival, the suspect was identified as Terrell Martin, and further advised by Jones that there are outstanding warrants for the homicide case they are investigating. Jones also advised Thomas that they needed to speak with the magistrate to obtain a search warrant for the residence in hopes of finding a firearm.
Bailey then assisted Durham in obtaining the search warrant, which was issued. Jones and Odell searched the residence, but the firearm was not located.
Durham remained at the Franklin Police Department and conducted the interview. After three hours, the interview was completed and Officer Foster assisted Jones with the city’s magistrate process.
Martin spoke with the magistrate and was held without bail.
More information will be published as it becomes available.