No injuries resulted because of house fire

Published 10:25 am Friday, November 3, 2017

The family living upstairs in a house on the 600 block of North High Street escaped without injuries early Wednesday morning after a fire erupted in a bedroom.

Mark Carr, deputy fire chief for the Franklin Fire and Rescue, said the department responded at 6:18 a.m., and was able to clear out at 9:19 a.m. The Hunterdale Volunteer Fire Department also assisted.

The Red Cross was called to assist the family, which consisted of two adults and three children.

The apartment can be refurbished, but is unlivable at present, he said.

As for the cause, “We’re learning toward a short circuit in the space heater,” said Carr, who added that it was plugged into an extension cord in a bedroom.

Doing so always “pulls in too much current,” which can lead to short circuits and fires.

When using alternative or portable heaters, the deputy chief encourages people to have them no closer than 36 inches of anything flammable. He reiterated not operating such appliances off extension cords at all.

Carr also reminded people that Daylight Saving Time ends this weekend, and while changing their clocks this weekend they should also change the batteries in their smoke detectors.

For more guidance on fire safety, see the related article below.