New candidates chosen for Wall of Excellence
Published 1:06 pm Saturday, September 16, 2017
Continuing a tradition inaugurated last year, three people who have made notable contributions to the city schools or community will be honored later this fall.
“Congratulations to the Franklin Community Wall of Excellence Class of 2017,” said Travis Felts, principal of Franklin High School. “After careful consideration of the impressive list of nominees, the following candidates have been selected by the Wall of Excellence Committee.”
The honorees are:
- Shelia R. Baxter for Academic or Career Accomplishment
- Charles G. Pearce for Outstanding Service to FHS or HHS
- Sol W. Rawls Jr. for Academic or Career Accomplishment
“Please join us in celebrating and showing our appreciation for these fine representatives of the Franklin community for success in their careers after graduating from Franklin or Hayden high school, or for their contributions to the students of Franklin City Public Schools, or for their contributions to our community,” Felts continued.
“The FCWOE Committee is ecstatic that we can recognize, honor, and remember those who have achieved excellence and/or made a tremendous impact on our community and local schools,” said Franklin Community Wall of Excellence Chairman Jim Jervey.
The Franklin Community Wall of Excellence Committee will introduce the Class of 2017 during halftime of the Franklin vs. Southampton football game at Armory Field. The game starts at 7 p.m. and will include a pre-game tailgate party for honored guests and their families.
On Saturday, Nov. 4, the honorees will be officially inducted at a dinner in the Cypress Cove Country Club. Tickets for the event will be sold to the public while they are available for $25 each. Socializing begins at 5:30, followed by dinner at 6, and then the induction ceremony of the 2017 class. Afterward, there will be a time for family, friends, and acquaintances to visit and take pictures.
The Franklin Community Wall of Excellence, which was founded in 2016, is located at Franklin High School adjacent to the gymnasium. Names and pictures of each inductee are displayed for generations of Franklin High School students and community members to see as they walk by on their way to class or an event at FHS.
This allows our students and citizens to take pride in and be inspired by some of the many successful people that have graduated from or served Franklin City Public Schools and our community.
There are five categories for induction into the Wall of Excellence:
- Academic or Career Accomplishment: This person must be a graduate of Franklin High School or Hayden High School who has achieved outstanding accomplishments in his/her chosen career.
- Athletic Accomplishment: This person must be a graduate of Franklin High School or Hayden High School with records achieved at the district level or above, was a state winner or qualifier during their high school athletic career, or with recognized accomplishments at the post-secondary, professional, or coaching level.
- Cultural/Performing Arts: This person must be a graduate of Franklin High School or Hayden High School who has been recognized for achievement in the performing arts or a graduate who has contributed to the promotion of cultural activities.
- Outstanding Service to Franklin High School or Hayden High School: This category will honor worthy individuals who may or may not have graduated from FHS or HHS. This person will have supported and/or advanced the name and philosophy of the school in a positive manner or had an exemplary influence on the lives of students.
- Special Honorary Achievement: This category will honor worthy individuals who may or may not have graduated from FHS or HHS. This person may present a special situation for which the committee may wish to use this recognition.
For the “Academic or Career,” “Cultural/Performing Arts” and “Athletic Accomplishment” categories, nominees must have graduated from FHS or HHS 10 years prior to the nomination. Nominations of non-FHS or HHS graduates can only be accepted for the “Outstanding Service to FHS or HHS” and “Special Honorary Achievement” categories.
The inaugural Franklin Community Wall of Excellence 2016 class included: Colgate W. Darden Jr. (Academic or Career Accomplishment); William H. Goodwin Jr. (Academic or Career Accomplishment); Larry B. Rose (Athletic Accomplishment); and Peggy H. Wilkins (Outstanding Service to FHS or HHS).
Contact Nancy Parrish at 562-2458 or 334-0476, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in attending. A limited amount of tickets are on sale for $25 each.