Electrical issue forces evacuation

Published 10:46 am Friday, May 19, 2017

An electrical issue in the ceiling of a science classroom at Southampton High School compelled an evacuation just before the end of classes on Wednesday. According to Supt. Dr. Gwendolyn Shannon, this information was reported to her by Principal Aileen Atkinson.

“All students and staff were immediately evacuated while local fire departments checked the source and cleared the building for safety,” Atkinson wrote. “All students were safe and there was no damage done to property.”

Shannon added that there was a delay in boarding buses as well as parent and student drivers, but all left the school safely.

“We thank our local fire departments for their swift and skillful assistance. We also thank our students, teachers and parents for their patience,” stated Atkinson.