Southampton Indians lose game at final buzzer

Published 10:20 am Wednesday, February 22, 2017

by Frank A. Davis

The Southampton High School Indians, the number one seed in the conference 25 3A basketball tournament, lost 54-52 in the final game on Friday. The Indians, playing at the Southampton County High School gym, were facing the number six seed, the Colonials from Colonial Heights.

In the first quarter of play there were two lead changes as the Colonials were ahead 11-9 at the end of the quarter. For the Indians, Darius Bell was pumped up as he blocked four shots during the opening quarter.

The second quarter continued with the lead changing three times and the Colonials again narrowly held the lead 20-19 at the half.

The action continued to heat up more in the third quarter and the Indians held the lead once with a score of 28-27. Also, in the final seconds of the quarter tied the score at 31 all. But once again as the quarter ended, the Colonials were up 35-34.

In the final quarter of the game, the battle picked up another notch but the Colonials continued to hold the lead. At the 2:20 mark, with the Colonials ahead 46-39, they went into a freeze. With the clock ticking down with :36 left in the game, Bell connected on a basket to get the score to 52-49.

The Indians were forced to foul, which resulted in the Colonials missing two foul shots and the Indians getting the rebound and the possession of the ball.

Kee-Sean Carr pushed the ball down the court and scored and was fouled on the shot. Carr nailed the free throw to tie the score at 52 all. With only seconds remaining in the game the Colonials fired shots at the basket to attempt to clinch the win. The Indians got the rebound and the buzzer sounded, seemingly to end the game and move play to overtime. But a controversial call resulted in the Colonials getting the possession of the ball and :02 was placed back on the clock. The throw-in location of the ball was under the Colonials’ goal. On the throw-in the ball was passed quickly to a Colonial player who released the shot that scored on the buzzer.

“It was a close game. The team fought back and played really well at the end,” Southampton County High School Indians head coach Sharone Bailey commented after the game. “I am proud of my guys; they give me everything that I could ask for. But the kid from Colonial Heights hit a tough shot. And you wouldn’t expect a Colonial Heights game to go any other way. We always play them real close. We came within two. I am proud of my guys and we look forward to going on ahead and doing great things in the regionals.”

The Indians had three players in double figures. They were led by Darius Bell with 14 points; Kee-Sean Carr and Shamon Reid-Wilkerson both had 13 points apiece.

The Colonials had two players in double figures. Leading was Brandon Smith with 22 points Deon Stover with 10 points.