Windsor officer recovering from on-duty injury

Published 10:28 am Friday, February 3, 2017


A Windsor Police officer injured in duty on Wednesday is already home recuperating while the Suffolk man accused of hurting him is incarcerated at Western Tidewater Regional Jail without bond.



On Wednesday, the Isle of Wight County Sheriff’s Office was conducting a narcotics operation in the parking lot of the Windsor Food and Gas at 60 W. Windsor Blvd., according to information provided by Lt. James Pope, a deputy of the sheriff. Assisting was the town’s police department.

Pope wrote that the officer, later identified as C.J. Griffin, was in a marked police cruiser when he pulled up to the suspect car to conduct a traffic stop with his emergency equipment activated. The suspect, later identified as Raydrin Alexander Smith, reportedly used his vehicle to ram Griffin as he was exiting his car.

Smith then backed over the gas pumps knocking them off and causing a fire. The suspect then exited the parking lot and led units on vehicle pursuit, which ended in the parking lot of the Southern States, 9242 Windsor Blvd. It was there that Smith and two passengers got out of the car and fled on foot. All three individuals were taken into custody after a short pursuit.



Although the injuries didn’t appear to be life-threatening at the scene, Griffin was airlifted by LifeEvac to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital for treatment of multiple contusions on his lower extremities. He was released on Thursday morning. According to his chief, R.D. Riddle, Griffin is resting comfortably.

Smith, 26, of the 100 block of Nancy Drive in Suffolk, has been charged with the following:

• 2 counts of felony Property Damage

• 1 count of felony elude

• 1 count of Attempted Capital Murder of a Law Enforcement Officer

Pope said on Thursday that the narcotics investigation led to Smith being stopped, but he could not say any more about that matter because it’s ongoing. He added that neither of the passengers were charged with anything related to the confrontation, but they could face charges on the aforementioned case.

Ronald Wayne Long, 36, of Zuni, was arrested on a charge of contempt of court out of Suffolk, according to Diana Klink, spokeswoman for the City of Suffolk.

In a separate statement from Riddle on Thursday afternoon, the chief stated, “As with any incident, Windsor Police Department will conduct an internal review of the incident and the actions of our personnel.

“The Windsor Police Department would like to thank the all emergency services personal and hospital staff for the outstanding level of care provided to Officer Griffin. In addition we are grateful and humbled by the continued calls, texts, emails and other messages of support received from the members of this community in regards to the well-being of our officer.”