Charges won’t be filed in alleged sexual assault case at Franklin High School
Published 2:53 pm Friday, October 21, 2016
No charges will be filed in the case of alleged sexual misconduct between five Franklin High School boys and a 15-year-old female student. That’s according to the city school division spokesman Kelvin Edwards, who also serves as director of teaching and learning.
As reported earlier on Friday, the Franklin City Police reported that Principal Ronnie Watson informed the department on Oct. 12 of an alleged sexual misconduct that occurred on school grounds between students on Oct. 11. Specifically, a 15-year-old female student alleged she was sexually assaulted by several male students in a bathroom.
Due to the nature of the alleged offense and the victim and suspects being juveniles, police are withholding the names of the students involved.
Edwards said the principal had carried out due process late that afternoon before contacting the FPD.
Following investigation, the matter was turned over to the Commonwealth’s Attorney in Southampton County, which reportedly decided not to pursue action.
Watson has suspended all persons involved in the alleged incident, and an administrative discipline hearing is planned, said Edwards.