Looking back: S.P. Morton Elementary School to be dedicated

Published 4:34 pm Thursday, December 3, 2015

by Clyde Parker

December 4, 1965

The formal dedication of the new $640,000 S.P. Morton Elementary School will be held on Sunday, December 19 at the school. The ceremonies will start at 3:30 p.m. with Mr. L. C. Williams, the school’s principal, presiding.

The main speaker for the dedication ceremonies will be Dr. T.H. Henderson, president of Virginia Union University in Richmond.

The Morton School, named to honor Mr. S.P. Morton, the present principal of Hayden High School, has an enrollment of more than 860 students in grades one through seven.

The campus-styled facility is made up of five separate buildings, all connected by covered walkways. The fifteen-acre layout consists of a multipurpose building, a library/classroom building and three eight-room classroom buildings.

The multipurpose building houses the administrative suite, teachers lounge, medical clinic and a 450-seat “cafetorium” complete with modern, centrally controlled, stage lighting.

The library/classroom building, conveniently located in the center of the complex, in addition to the library, contains four classrooms. There are three eight-room classroom buildings. Each contains two four-classroom units.

City officials attending the dedication will be Mayor Darden Jones and members of the City Council, City Manager Harold Atkinson, School Superintendent William Blanks, and members of the School Board. The public is cordially invited to attend and look over the new school.

Nutting promoted

Sidney T. Nutting Jr., formerly General Services Manager for the Bleached Products Division of Union Bag-Camp Paper Corp., has been promoted to the position of General Manager of the Corporation’s Honeycomb Division, located in Glens Falls, New York, according to J.E. Ray III, Union Bag-Camp vice president.

Nutting has been a Franklin resident since 1958 when he came here as Chief Industrial Engineer. At that time, prior to his transfer, he was, following his graduation from Georgia Tech, an industrial engineer at Union Bag-Camp’s Savannah, Georgia Mill.

Nutting and his wife Barbara, and two sons, reside on Robinhood Road in Franklin.

In 1961, he was appointed to the position of General Services Manager for the Franklin Mill, taking on responsibility for the Industrial Engineering, Purchasing, Traffic and Mill Planning departments, in Franklin.

In 1964, Nutting was appointed to the position of General Services Manager for the entire Bleached Products Division of which the Franklin Plant is just one of several.

Although Nutting’s new position will eventually necessitate his moving to New York State, he will, for the present, handle his new assignment from Franklin.

As a result of Nutting’s move, C.H. (Charlie) Eitel has been promoted from Chief Industrial Engineer at Franklin to General Services Manager for the Franklin Mill. Eitel came to the Franklin Mill from Savannah, Ga. where he had worked since 1955.

Also promoted was James C. Cooley from the position of Assistant Manager of Mill Planning to the position of Chief Industrial Engineer at the Franklin Mill.

C.E. (Gene) Moore, formerly group leader in the Industrial Engineering Department, has moved up to be Assistant Manager of Mill Planning.

E.A. (Ed) Heim, an industrial engineer since 1963, was promoted to group leader in the Industrial Engineering Department.

Prudence Tedder received Americanism award

Mrs. Prudence O. Tedder, an American citizen since 1960, has been selected by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Adam Thoroughgood Chapter of Virginia Beach, to receive the organization’s “Americanism Medal.”

The Medal recognizes an adult naturalized person for his or her exceptional accomplishments and demonstrated citizenship.

Mrs. Tedder was born in Bangalore, India of British parents. She is a graduate of Lorette College in Calcutta. During World War II, as a Warrant Officer in the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force, she served in Singapore and Malaya. After evacuation to England, she served at various air bases until the end of the war. She then re-enlisted for two more years and worked at the Joint Services Staff College in Latimer. In 1950, she left England and immigrated to Canada.

In 1954, she married Willie F. Tedder of Franklin and moved here.

Mrs. Tedder has been employed by Union Bag-Camp Paper Corp. since December of 1954. She is now Supervisor of the Stenographic Department.

Mrs. Tedder is a member of many civic and fraternal organizations both in Franklin and on the State level.

To honor Mrs. Tedder, a banquet was held Monday night at the Commodore Maury Hotel in Norfolk.

In accepting the award, Mrs. Tedder said, “I respond to you by directing your attention to the scroll held by the eagle of the Seal of the United States, bearing the inscription ‘E Pluribus Unum’ — one out of many.” She asked, “How does an American live for this great Republic? We can dedicate ourselves to the service of our Country by being good citizens.”

Guests from Franklin attending were Mesdames M.E. Stone, M.E. Barrett, R.H. Bradshaw Jr., and William L. Ellis Jr. Also, Patricia P. Pierce, Jane Delessio, Hazel Duke, Barbara Gardner, and Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Brown attended. Attending from Union Bag-Camp were J. M. Piette, J. R. Howerton, R. B. Allport Jr., H.S. James Jr., and T.A. Vaughan. Mrs. Carolyn Hodgson, Willie F. Tedder, and Mrs. Tedder’s sister, Mrs. Nora Clements of Toronto, Canada were in attendance.

CLYDE PARKER is a retired human resources manager for the former Franklin Equipment Co. and a member of the Southampton County Historical Society. His email address is magnolia101@charter.net