House fire displaces 1 in Newsoms

Published 10:59 am Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Newsoms Volunteer Fire Department responded to an apartment fire early Monday morning in the 22000 block of West Railroad Street when a neighbor reportedly smelled smoke. The neighbor used a garden hose to contain the fire until crews arrived on the scene of the four-unit residential building at 2:41 a.m.

Nobody was injured, as the occupant was not home at the time of the fire, but damage is estimated at approximately $30,000. The occupant has been displaced as a result, but those in the other apartments were allowed to return to their homes.

The cause of the fire was accidental, according to fire chief Jonathan Hinson, and it appeared to have started in the area of a window-mounted air conditioner. The neighbor who attempted to extinguish the fire with garden hose was evaluated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but declined to be transported to the hospital.

“The gentleman who used the garden hose to contain the fire certainly helped to keep the fire from causing more damage,” Hinson said. “However, everyone needs to be reminded that their first priority in the event of a fire is to get out of the building safely and then call 911. Never go back into a burning building for any reason. The gentleman was very lucky that he was not seriously hurt.”