Tigers slip by Broncos in the 4th quarter

Published 12:27 pm Saturday, October 18, 2014

Bronco defense digs in to stop Sussex running back. FRANK A. DAVIS | TIDEWATER NEWS

Bronco defense digs in to stop Sussex running back. FRANK A. DAVIS | TIDEWATER NEWS

The annual “throw away the record game” between Tri-Rivers District rivals Franklin High School and Sussex Central High School produced a thrilling ending Friday night at Armory Drive Football Stadium.

Sussex quarterback Malik Delk tossed a 23-yard touchdown pass to Lamare Pearson to lift the Tigers to a 20-14 victory.

With the score tied at 14-14 with 2:56 remaining in the game, the Broncos had just gained possession of the football first and goal at the Tigers 2 yard line. Franklin had just advanced the ball to that point after a scrambling Bronco quarterback Darrian Duck completed a long pass to Corey Porter who was stopped just short of the goal line. But on the Broncos next play, the ball was fumbled and the Tigers recovered.

After a controversial call by game officials, the ball was advanced 15 yards. The Tiger offense went to work and quickly advanced the ball using a mixture of runs and quick wide out passes. Finally, Delk hit Pearson for the touchdown which put Sussex up 20 -14. With 1:17 remaining in the game the Broncos had one last chance to score again. Duck went to the air but was picked off by Tyron Hill, sealing the win for the Tigers.

After a slow, non-scoring, feel each other out first quarter, the Broncos were first to cross the goal line in the second quarter after Duck connected with Corey Porter, who raced 59 yards for a touchdown. Tyree Jones scored on the 2-point conversion to put the home team ahead 8-0. That score held to the end of the first half.

Starting the second half of play, the Tigers had the first possession and drove easily down the field and scored on a 23-yard pass from Delk to Pearson. Churrio Scott crossed the goal line for the 2-point conversion that resulted in the score being tied at 8-8.

The Tigers were successful on an on-side kick. On the Tiger possession, penalties pushed the ball back and resulted in the Broncos getting the ball back.

Going back on offense the Broncos Javonte Baker broke free on a big 32-yard run to set the stage for a 26-yard touchdow run by Jack Sykes. The 2-point conversion failed, but with 40.3 seconds remaining in the third quarter, Franklin led 14 -8.

Entering the fourth quarter, Delk went to the air and connected on a 29-yard touchdown to Isaiah Parham. The 2-point conversion failed but the Tigers tied the score at 14-14 with 8:40 left to play.

The Broncos were led in rushing by Baker with 77 yards while Duck passed for 110 yards. For the Tigers, Delk rushed for 153 yards.

The Broncos were lead in tackles by Aaron Sumblin with 11 and Stefone Person with 8.

Franklin plays at Greensville County next Friday.