FHS drops opener in overtime

Published 11:13 am Saturday, September 6, 2014

Javonte Baker rushes one in the rain. The FHS RB led the Broncos with 183 yards on the ground. FRANK DAVIS | TIDEWATER NEWS

Javonte Baker rushes one in the rain. The FHS RB led the Broncos with 183 yards on the ground. FRANK DAVIS | TIDEWATER NEWS

FRANKLIN—With the score Nandua High School Warriors 49 and the Franklin High School Broncos 48 in overtime, the Broncos quarterback Corey Porter was stopped short of the goal line on a two-point conversion that would have given the home team a win for their VHSL football season opener on Friday at Armory Drive football stadium.

Bronco head coach Darren Parker remarked after the game, “the team fought to the end and the coaches coached to the end in a very hard fought game.”

After taking the opening kickoff the Broncos fumbled on their first drive and the Warriors took over at the Bronco 39-yard line. With 10:10 into the game, Jakorah Parker crossed the goal-line for the Warriors and the extra point was good for a 7-0 early lead for the visitors.

The Broncos took the lead 8-7 in the first quarter following a 1-yard run by Porter.

The Broncos continued their scoring as Javonte Baker reached pay dirt on a 21-yard run and Porter also scored again in the second quarter on a 55-yard run. The game for most of the first half was played in a light drizzle of rain that favored the home team as they led 36-13 at the end of the first half.

The Warriors cranked up their scoring machine in the second half as they put 14 points on the scoreboard in the third quarter to close the gap to 27-36. Warrior quarterback Tyreim Blake was hard to stop as he scrambled and broke tackles for much of the second half. Blake led the Warriors in rushing with 161 yards and scored himself on a 2-yard run in the third quarter. The Warriors entering the fourth quarter continued their scoring as kicker/full back Trevor Wessells was pushed across the goal line on two touchdowns of 4 and 2 yards respectfully.

With 3:16 remaining in the game the Broncos were up 36-34. Trying to take the lead the Warriors attempted a field goal, which was blocked and recovered by the Broncos Rashad Wilkerson who rushed 82 yards for a touch down. The two-point conversion failed but the Broncos pushed their lead to 42-34.

The Warriors once again advanced the ball to the red zone and Wessells scored on a 2-yard power run. Blake scored the two point conversion to tie the game at 42-all.

As the game went into overtime, the Warriors were given the ball on the 10-yard line. Blake connected on a pass to Adrian Matthews and Wessells booted the extra point for a 49-42 lead.

On the Broncos possession, Baker broke free for the 2-yard touchdown run to put the score at 49-48. Bronco penalties pushed the ball back to the 13-yard line and on a quarterback keeper, Porter fell short of the goal line to end the game.

The Broncos were led in rushing by Baker with 183 yards and Porter with 126 yards. For the Warriors, Anthony Smith rushed for 116 and Jakorah Parker rushed for 108.

The Broncos were led in tackles by Quayshawn Jefferson with 9 and Corey Porter with 7.

Coach Parker ended his comments that the team would start on Monday to prepare for next week’s game at Colonial Beach and, “As always,” he said, “God is good.”