Big fourth quarter playing gives Dukes opening win

Published 12:04 pm Saturday, August 30, 2014

Windsor’s Curtis Waters, who rushed for 67 yards, shakes a defender for extra yards. -- FRANK DAVIS | TIDEWATER NEWS

Windsor’s Curtis Waters, who rushed for 67 yards, shakes a defender for extra yards. — FRANK DAVIS | TIDEWATER NEWS

Windsor—The Windsor High School Dukes picked off two interceptions and returned them both for touchdowns in the fourth quarter to give the home team a 34-28 win against the West Point Pointers in a VHSL out of division football match Friday night.

The game had been tight all night but the Dukes held the lead 22–20 going into the fourth quarter. With 7:14 remaining in the quarter, the Dukes’ Malcolm Greene picked off an interception and raced 104 yards for a touchdown. The score advanced to 28–20 after the kick failed. On the next Pointer possession, the Dukes Keshawn Reid picked off the next interception and carried the ball for a 42 yards touchdown. The two point conversion failed but the Dukes now led 34-20.

The Pointers got the ball back after the kick-off with 6:55 remaining in the game. After the back to back interceptions by the Dukes, the Pointers went to their ground game and advanced ball to the red zone with 4:30 left on the clock. Trying to stay in the game they went back to the air, but a pass was blocked by Drew Parsain of the Dukes. Facing a 4th and goal situation, the Pointers went back to the air but could not get a completion.

With 3:25 remaining in the game, the Dukes took over and were successfully running the clock down until the Pointers stood up a Dukes runner and stripped the ball and returned it to the 5-yard line. After marking off a penalty, the ball was moved to the 2-yard line, where the Pointers scored with 10.8 seconds remaining. The two point conversion was good and the score was now 34–28.

Anticipating the onside kick, the Dukes were prepared and recovered it to seal the win.

The 2A Dukes never faltered during the game as the 1A Pointers showed off their passing power on the opening drive and scored on a 48-yard pass to Chase Stewart. After being down 7–0 at the end of the first quarter, the Dukes came back in the second and led 16-13 by half time; Curtis Waters scored first from the red zone in the second quarter at 10:49, with a successful two point conversion; and after a Breon Stocks touchdown run, Keshawn Reid ran in a two-point conversion. West Point scored on a 17-yard pass to Chase Stewart to get their other score, and the kick failed.

Waters scored in the third quarter for the Dukes to bring the score up to 22-13 after the kick failed. West Point answered back, as Montel Allen scored on a run. The kick was good, and the score was 22-20.

Dukes Head Coach Chuck Parrish remarked after the game, “it was a great win, a hard fought victory. We ended the game with 240 yards rushing and with 4 interceptions. We knew going into the game that we had to possess the ball to keep their offense off the field.”

The Dukes were led on the ground by Breon Stocks with 115 yards and followed by Curtis Waters with 67 yards.

Windsor will next be in action against Washington and Lee on Sept. 5.