Lunch to cost an extra dime in Southampton public schools

Published 11:51 am Saturday, July 19, 2014

COURTLAND—Lunches in Southampton County public school will cost an extra 10 cents because of a federal mandate, which the Southampton County Public School Board was compelled to approve during its regular meeting on Monday.

Elementary school lunches, for example, will cost $1.90, and the middle school meals will be priced at $2.10 when the 2014-2015 school year begins.

The requirement comes from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Equity in School Lunch Pricing. In a memo dating Nov. 6, 2013, the agency stated, “School food authorities must annually review their paid lunch revenue to assure compliance with the paid lunch equity requirement. When the SFA’s average paid lunch price is less than the difference between the current free and paid Federal reimbursement rates, the SFA would be noncompliant and therefore must determine how they will meet the requirement. This may be done by increasing their average paid lunch price or providing funds from non-Federal sources.”

Further, the 2013-2014 federal reimbursement rate and inflation rates are to be used when figuring the requirements.

“The amount of the per meal increase will be calculated using 2 percent plus 2.27 percent, totaling 4.27 percent,” the memo continued.

Related to school meals, the board later learned that Capron Elementary has applied for a grant to establish a Breakfast in the Classroom program. This is to ensure students start off each day with the morning meal.

Before the regular meeting, Dr. Deborah Goodwyn was reelected as chairwoman of the Southampton County Public School Board at the start of the organizational session on Monday. Jim Pope III was named vice chairman.

The board also welcomed Dr. Carolyn Modlin and William Worsham as new members appointed by a three-member panel on June 10. Modlin represents the Boykins district and Worsham the at-large position. They succeed Roberta Naranjo who retired after 40 years, and Diane Jones, respectively. Christopher Smith Sr. was reappointed to the Jerusalem seat.

The terms end on June 30, 2018.

Dr. Alvera J. Parrish, superintendent, and Dr. W.K. Smith were reelected as clerk and deputy clerk, respectively.

The meeting schedule remains at 7 p.m. on the second Monday of each month at the Technical Career Center, Wigwam, at Southampton High School.

Salaries for board members are set at $5,000 annually, with Goodwyn receiving an extra $300 plus mileage for regular meetings at 32.5 cents per mile.