Harriette H. Hobbs

Published 10:57 am Saturday, June 28, 2014

CHEVY CHASE, Md.—Harriette Harcum Hobbs passed away on June 13, 2014, after a long battle with infections.



Harriette was born on Jan. 3, 1934, in Franklin, Virginia, to Otto and Annie Mae Harcum.

She graduated as salutatorian of her class at Franklin High School, where she was on the girl’s basketball team. She then attended William & Mary, where she earned a BA in psychology. During her time there, she was elected president of her sorority, Gamma Phi Beta, and appeared as a model in Mademoiselle magazine.

After Harriette graduated in 1955, she moved up to northern Virginia to teach at Hollin Hills School in Fairfax County. In the summer of 1957, in her hot, sticky apartment with no air conditioning, she said, “I’ve had enough! I’m going home to Franklin.” Her roommate begged her to stay long enough to go on a double date with one of her boyfriend’s friends. Harriette obliged, and went on this blind date with Charles Allen Hobbs.

The rest is history. As Charlie said, “as soon as I met her, I knew she was the one for me. She filled the gaps in me and made me complete.” Within three weeks after meeting, they were engaged, and six months later were married on Dec. 21, 1957. They moved to Chevy Chase, Maryland, in 1965 and have lived there ever since.

Harriette was more than a “homemaker.” She was a “family maker.” Every single night she had a gourmet, home-cooked meal on the table, and the family ate as a family, discussing the days’ events. She arranged trips as a family to other parts of the United States. She made sure her daughters performed their duties in school and were good citizens. She had outside interests as well, mainly the Chevy Chase Garden Club and the Chevy Chase Historical Society. She also sang in the church choir, first at Chevy Chase Baptist and later Fourth Presbyterian. Her passions, aside from her children, were cooking, gardening, travel and the arts.

Fifty-seven years after that fateful blind date, Harriette boasted of four successful daughters and sons-in-law, and 12 grandchildren, ranging from 6 months to 17 years old.

She was a fighter for what she believed in. She will be missed terribly.

The funeral took place at her beloved house of worship — Fourth Presbyterian Church — on June 22. Memorial donations may be made to Lisner Louise Dickson Hurt Home, 5425 Western Ave., NW Washington, D.C. 20015. Arrangements were under the direction of Joseph Gawler’s Sons LLC, Washington, D.C.