School discipline reports mixed up

Published 11:39 am Wednesday, February 26, 2014

FRANKLIN—For the second year in a row, Coastal Virginia Magazine (formerly Hampton Roads Magazine) has mixed up the data between the state’s two Franklin High schools, said FHS Principal Travis Felts.

When reporting on Franklin High School, they used the Virginia Department of Education report card data from the high school in Franklin County, which is in Rocky Mt., rather than the high school in Franklin City.

“From 2010 to 2013, the frequency of offenses has steadily declined as far as school discipline, and we are proud of that,” said Felts. “And I attribute that to the teachers and students. We don’t want to have a bad reputation, as far as being an unsafe school.”

Felts said recently that in January there were only six instances of discipline at FHS.

“It’s small stuff, but it all counts as far as referrals,” he said. “I’m not saying that we have no discipline issues. I don’t think any high school principal could say that. But we don’t have the level of which is listed in the report.”

In 2012-2013, the majority of the Franklin City Public Schools system’s Franklin High School instances were in the disorderly or disruptive behavior offenses, where they had 290 instances – down from 462 the previous year.

The most serious offenses listed were weapons offenses, where there were 12.

There were 12 reported offenses against students, none against staff and 47 against other people, which is down from 70 the previous year.

There were no alcohol, tobacco and other drug offenses, no property offenses and no technology offenses.

There were 19 in the other offenses category, which was down from 48 the previous year.

The high school in Franklin County reported to VDOE that it had 70 alcohol, tobacco and other drug offenses.

“Several of our teachers and some central office staff were upset to hear of this being talked about in the community,” Felts said. “The bottom line is they got us mixed up with Franklin County.”

Editor-in-Chief Melissa Stewart admitted to the mistake in an email sent to Felts.