Broncos romp to first-round playoff win

Published 4:08 pm Monday, November 18, 2013

Corey Porter scores on 31-yard pass in third quarter. -- Frank Davis/Tidewater News

Corey Porter scores on 31-yard pass in third quarter. — Frank Davis/Tidewater News

Franklin—After Franklin High School defeated the William Campbell Generals 50 – 8 in the first round of the Region 1A playoffs, head football coach Darren Parker remarked that, “we are in a 5 round fight, and starting Monday we will get ready for round 2.”

On Friday night at Armory Field, the Broncos got off to a slow start. After receiving the opening kick-off, the Broncos drove deep into the Generals territory but were stopped on their first offensive drive. But soon after the Generals took over on offense, they coughed up the ball and the Broncos capitalized on the mistake and scored on a 3-yard td run by Terry Warren. The Angel Padilla kick was blocked and the Broncos took a 6- 0 lead.

On the Generals next offensive drive, they drove the ball down the field into the Broncos red zone. As the game moved into the second quarter the Generals scored on a 3 yard run by James Clement. Running back Tyrell then scored on a 2-point conversion and the Generals took the lead 8 – 6.

Franklin answered quickly as the Broncos’ Latrell Lane scored on a 35 yard run. Franklin went for 2 points on the conversion, and quarterback LaQuadric Pittman connected with Darrien Duck, giving the Broncos the lead at 14 – 8.

The Bronco defense tightened up on the Generals, quickly forcing a punt. The Broncos offense soon scored again on a 2-yard run by Corey Porter. Padilla was on target with the extra point attempt, and the Broncos grew their lead to 21 – 8.

After another stop by the defense and a William Campbell punt, the Broncos struck again. This time, Marcus Stephens crossed the goal line on a 3 yard run. Padilla booted the extra point and extended the Broncos’ lead to 28 – 8, which was the score going into halftime.

On the General’s first possession of the second half, they fumbled the ball and the Broncos recovered. The ensuing possession resulted in another Bronco touchdown as Pittman went to the air with a 31 yard touchdown pass to Porter. The Padilla kick was good and the Broncos led by a score of 35 – 8.

The Broncos next score came on a 2 yard run by Latrell Lane. The Broncos went for a 2-point conversion and were successful on a pass from Pittman to Antonio Elliott.

With the Broncos out to a commanding 43-8 lead in the third quarter, the remainder of the game was played with a running clock.

With fresh jerseys in the game for the home team, the Broncos’ reserves added another touchdown on an 18 yard run by Tyree Jones. Padilla added his last kick of the night, wrapping up the scoring in Franklin’s first-round playoff win.

The Broncos rushed for a total of 315 yards, led by Terry Warren’s 84 yards. Latrell Lane followed with 63 yards.

On defense, Alison Cromwell led the Broncos in tackles with 10, followed by Corey Porter with 6 tackles.

The Broncos enter the next round on next Friday at Armory Park football stadium.