Name released in apartment fire

Published 4:18 pm Wednesday, August 7, 2013

FRANKLIN—The name of the female victim in the Aug. 4 apartment fire was released by the Franklin Department Fire and Rescue.

Valtonia Shaw, 22, died of smoke inhalation early Sunday morning, said Deputy Chief Mark Carr.

The fire department also confirmed the cause of the fire was an accidental one originating from the cooking stove. Carr could not confirm whether or not someone was cooking at the time, or if the burner had been left on.

Carr said there were pots on the stove with food in them.

Shaw and an unnamed male victim were found in the upstairs bathroom.

At 3:29 a.m., the fire department was called to 1698 Dorchester Street, Apartment A6, and on arrival they saw smoke and flames coming out the rear of the apartment.

During the primary search, at 3:38 a.m., they discovered the victims, who were brought out. The couple was unresponsive, so firefighters started CPR and then had the two transported to a local hospital.

The fire was contained to a single apartment and no one else was hurt.