Fire destroys Sedley home

Published 9:17 am Thursday, January 24, 2013

Firefighters extinguish a blaze at a home on St. Luke's Road in Sedley on Wednesday. The home was destroyed.


SEDLEY—A Wednesday fire that destroyed a Sedley-area home and left two homeless appears accidental, said Sedley Fire Chief Keith Rose.

“The fire appears to have started in or around a chimney at the rear of the house,” Rose said.

Freddy Williams and his wife escaped the home at 16042 St. Luke’s Road unharmed when the fire broke out at 10 a.m. It took about five hours to put out the fire. Damage was estimated at $100,000, Rose said.

Roland Chapman owned the home. Rose wasn’t sure if it was insured.

Chris Williams of Sedley said his grandparents lived at the home.

“Everyone is fine, a little shaken, but okay,” Williams said. “My grandfather wrecked his truck rushing home, but he is fine.”

Rose did not know where the couple is staying. The American Red Cross was contacted.

Courtland, Hunterdale and Ivor volunteer fire departments assisted.