Fire destroys Branchville home

Published 10:40 am Thursday, July 19, 2012



BRANCHVILLE—The cause of a Wednesday night fire that destroyed a home on Clarksbury Road is believed to have been accidental, said Branchville Fire Chief Justin Overby.

“We had some lightning in the area,” said Overby, who has asked the Southampton County Sheriff’s Office to investigate.

No one was home when the 11:30 fire broke out. The blaze was fully involved when firefighters arrived. They were on scene for 5½ hours.

Overby believes one person lived at the home, which he said was owned by someone in Richmond. Overby did not know if the home was insured.

A Boykins volunteer firefighter was treated at Southampton Memorial Hospital for heat exhaustion.

Also assisting were Newsoms and Capron volunteer fire departments.