Tour of Camp family homes April 21

Published 10:13 am Friday, April 13, 2012

The Elms at 717 Clay St., Franklin, will be one of four included in this year Franklin Garden Club tour of homes. Paul D. Camp built the home. SUBMITTED

FRANKLIN—The Franklin Garden Club on Saturday, April 21, will host a tour of three Camp family era homes and the home of Dr. J.F. Bryant, Franklin’s first mayor.

In conjunction with the event, Blackwater/Nottoway Riverkeeper Jeff Turner will conduct three, two-hour pontoon boat tours of the Blackwater River.

Homes on the tour include The Maples at 216 Meadow Lane, built in 1895 by James L. Camp Sr. and his wife, Carrie Savage Camp; The Elms at 717 Clay St., built by Paul D. Camp and his wife, Ella; The Ryland Camp House at 724 Clay St., built by Ryland Camp, son of Paul D. Camp, in 1916; and The Bryant House at 205 N. High St., built in 1890.

Tickets may be purchased at any of the homes. Advance tickets may be purchased by calling Gayle Urquhart at 562-0915 or Judy Livesay at 562-2600.

Lunch will be served for $15 at the High Street Methodist Church on Camp Parkway.

For the river cruises, the $10 tickets will be sold first-come, first-served at 9 a.m. at the boat landing at Barrett’s Landing in Franklin. Tours will leave at 10 a.m., and 12:30 and 3 p.m.

The Blackwater River played an integral role in the development of Camp Manufacturing in Franklin. As an important link between the Chesapeake Bay region and the Albemarle Sound, tugboats carrying logs plied the river until late in the 20th century.

Proceeds from the boat tours will benefit the Garden Club of Virginia for restoration of historic gardens throughout the state.