Southampton boys fall in first round

Published 9:41 am Friday, February 17, 2012

SOUTH HILL—Southampton High School boys’ basketball team lost 72-65 to host Park View during the opening round of the Southside District Tournament on Wednesday.

The Indians on Thursday night played Greensville for third place in the tournament. Results were not available as of press time.

Southampton tied for second in the district and was ranked No. 3 after a draw for the tournament.

Southampton will most likely open regional play at James Monroe in Fredericksburg on Tuesday, Feb. 21.

All season the Indians have been pretty much injury free, said Coach Will Melbye.

“We’ve had one twisted ankle all year long,” Melbye said. “Travon Ellis turned an ankle at Sussex and that’s been it.”

Unfortunately, the bug bit them at the most inopportune time of the year — playoffs. Senior Karon Evans went down with a knee injury in the overtime game on Feb. 10 against Prince Edward.

De’Von Peterson landed funny during Wednesday’s game and junior guard Jamal Johnson appeared to trip over another player’s foot and rolled his ankle so bad that his shoe came off.

“I’m sure he’ll be ready to go tonight,” Melbye said Thursday. “That’s the kind of kid he is. Tape it, brace it, whatever, Jamal will be ready.”

Reserve Johnny Tribbett is nursing a badly bruised thumb injured in practice last week.

“I feel for all of these guys, especially Johnny and Karon,” Melbye said. “They want to contribute, but just cannot. It’s heartbreaking for me.”

During Wednesday’s game, Southampton took a 34-30 halftime lead. The third quarter, however, was the telltale quarter of the night, Melbye said.

“The Indians were hesitant at times and reluctant to ‘pull the trigger’ when faced with an open shot,” he said. “The timidness was jumped on by Park View, who took advantage of the slowed-down Indians to run the floor and quickly evened the game at 34.”

After a timeout, the Indians had a great look at the basket, but a lay-up rolled off the rim and down went the Indian lead on a Dragon basket at the other end.

The 36-34 lead was the second of the game for the Dragons after leading 4-2 early in the first quarter.

The Dragons held the Indians to five, third-quarter points and racked up 16 of their own, taking a seven-point lead into the fourth quarter.

This time they did not relinquish it; the closest the Indians got was two points early in the fourth.

“We kept fighting and clawing and for as much as we wanted to slow it down, we were forced to run with them, and that in turn spelled our demise tonight,” he said. “We just ran out of gas and couldn’t keep up. I’m proud of the guys, absolutely. They fought the whole way and we got some fantastic minutes and efforts out of our bench guys, especially Hayden Spalding who turned in one of the gutsier performances of the year and Michael Frazier who held his own for the most part last night.”