Broncos bow to Windsor 52-6

Published 12:06 am Saturday, November 5, 2011

Franklin's Marcus Stephens picks up a few yards on a run. He ran for 59 total yards in the loss to Windsor. -- Frank A. Davis | Tidewater News

WINDSOR–After scoring on its first possession, Franklin High School could not crank up the offense as Windsor came back to defeat the Broncos 52-6 in the Tri-Rivers District match on Friday.

Host Windsor improved to 7-3 overall and 3-1 in the district. The Broncos finish 6-4 overall and 2-2 in the district. Both teams are in the playoffs; times and opponents have yet to be announced.

In rushing for Windsor, Oris Bowers led with 142 yards followed by Edwards with 132. Nick Powell led in tackles with eight and Jesse Tengowski had six.

For the Broncos, Travis Brown led in rushing with 66 yards. For the defense, Delvontae Boone led in tackles with eight, followed by Alison Cromwell with five.

Windsor also scored on its first possession on a 41-yard run by Justice Chapman. Chapman got the two-point conversion.

Early in the second quarter, Duke R.J. Edwards broke loose on 15-yard touchdown run. The two-point conversion failed, giving Windsor a 14-6 lead.

Late in the second quarter, the Dukes entered the red zone. The Bronco defense twice stopped the touchdown attempt, but after taking a timeout with 25 seconds remaining in the half, Edwards scored on a two-yard run. He added the two-point conversion, giving Windsor a 22-6 halftime lead.

On their opening drive of the second half, Edwards crossed the goal line on a two-yard run. The two-point conversion failed.

The Broncos on their next possession were forced to punt; Edwards returned the punt for a 42-yard touchdown. Caleb Dundlow scored on the two-point conversion, giving Windsor a 36-6 lead.

The Broncos fumbled on their next possession, putting the Dukes’ ball on the Bronco 23-yard line. From there, Bowers plowed through the line to add the next Duke touchdown. Sharod Patterson ran the pigskin across the goal line for the two-point conversion.

The Dukes final score came in the fourth quarter following an eight-yard touchdown run by Dundlow, who also scored the two-point conversion.