Murfreesboro man arrested in April 2 shooting

Published 9:44 am Saturday, April 30, 2011


MURFREESBORO, N.C.—A Murfreesboro man has been arrested for allegedly shooting a man during an April 2 party at the Bryantville Park community building in Como, N.C.

Quantez Jamaal Everette, 19, of 108 Top St. was charged with attempted first-degree murder for allegedly shooting James Long, 49, of Como. Long was flown to Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville and has since returned home.

Everette was also allegedly involved with a robbery at Bryantville Park on April 11 and an attempted robbery on March 27 on Rhue Street in Murfreesboro where shots were fired at a residence, according to Hertford County Sheriff Juan Vaughan.

Everette faces 12 felony charges, including assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, possession of a firearm by a felon, robbery with a dangerous weapon, attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon, discharging a weapon into an occupied dwelling and attempted first-degree burglary.

He remains in the Hertford County Jail under a $100,000 bond.

A 17-year-old from Murfreesboro is also accused of being involved with Everette on the two robberies. The teen remains behind bars under a $115,000 bond

Others allegedly involved in a series of Bryantville Park robberies or attempted robberies were:

• Christopher Thomas Lee, 22, of Aulander, N.C. He is charged with six felonies and remains in the Hertford County Jail under a $35,000 bond.

• Kenya Teanda Futrell, 25, of 108 Doe Trail, Murfreesboro. He is charged with six felonies.

• Waverly Eason, 28, of 219 Antler Drive, Murfreesboro. He is charged with four felonies. His bond was set at $52,000.

Vaughan praised Capt. Raymond Eure, Lt. Will Liverman and investigators John Joyner, Dexter Hayes and Brian Pearce for their professional work on these cases.

“They did an excellent job in getting these men and weapons off the street,” Vaughan said. “This had evolved to a case where these men were just getting together and going around and robbing people at gunpoint. This was a case where public safety was severely threatened. We had to act quickly in order to get these men off the street.”